Theater

by trupie Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM

How to get good theater tickets?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

Re: Theater

by Homanded Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM

By "good" do you mean seating? assured show you are interested in?
    If so, pre-booking in advance - way in advance and paying top price.

Option #2) this is the one we always go for, become a member of Broadway Across America (if you reside in the USofA and are a regular theater goer as we are).
    You will have first dibs on shows and tours.

Of all of these, going to a TKT booth or standing in line for bucket seats/last minute availability is not an option - to us.
    You get what you pay for, often times (most times), not very good seating.
    Broadway shows are in high demand and usually sell outs.
    Not to say you may not settle for this type of seating, just saying that it is not "good" - to us.

Homer

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I usually book well in advance. I try to be very flexible as to days/times I'm available. I'm also subscribed to several services that offer tickets and/or advance notice of shows (theatermania, timeoutnewyork, ticketmaster, etc.). I have never used the TKT booth because I want specific seats.

If booking in advance in not an option or you cannot get the seats you want, you can always look on stubhub or ebay. You'll likely pay a hefty premium but for some people that's not an issue.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM

TKTS booth is one option as well as going to the theater or on line. If these are not a option and want some last minute relief, but would pay a hefty price, ask your coincerige at the hotel. If you have certain status with your credit card like AMEX or Citi plat, or VISA world signature card, call them up and sometimes you can get the best seat in the house as they have seats reserve and they might be a sponsor of the show. Enjoy Broadway

cheers tommy x

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

by TexasDave Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Also check www.broadwaybox.com for multiple discounts

• QuigleyM's Profile Photo

by QuigleyM Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 5:29 AM

If you have a specific show in mind, book it in advance. If you want to take a gamble to see what deals you can get the day of, go to a TKTS booth--Times Square, South Street Seaport, or Downtown Brooklyn.

• walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 5:48 AM

theater tickets can be expensive especially if the show is during weekends. Weekdays will be cheaper. Recently we were in NYC and went theater hopping. Because most theaters are within short walking distance from each other we checked out which ones are the cheapest and grabbed them about an hour before show starts. We managed to see Jersey Boys for $50 each and Evita for $70. Of course they are not the front seats but good enough. During intermission of Evita the theater staffs let us move closer because it wasn't full house.

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

by Dymphna1 Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM

The least expensive place to purchase them are at the theater. I remember a long line for the booth in Time Square for tickets.

• TexasDave's Profile Photo

by TexasDave Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Dymphna1 wrote:
    The least expensive place to purchase them are at the theater. I remember a long line for the booth in Time Square for tickets

The only time that would be true is if the theater offers "rush" tickets, usually just before the show starts. Generally the theater box offices do not offer half price tickets- that is why the line at TKTS is almost always so long.

• Janemei's Profile Photo

by Janemei Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 8:22 PM

If you decided to go with tkts, go to the one in Jay st, Brooklyn which is just on the ACFR subway line. Otherwise, if you have iphone or Ipad, the tkts app works for purchasing tickets as well.

• clareabee's Profile Photo

by clareabee Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 2:23 AM

I would agree that broadway box is a good option. We were able to purchase tickets from the UK via this method and got very good seats for Phantom via this method. Register with them as sometimes there are 'extra' discounts - very easy to use and i would certainly recommend. Obviously there may not be offers for the 'newest' shows but worth a look as I didn't really fancy wasting hours waiting in line in times square for a sniff of a show I wasn't that keen on seeing!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines