New York City Travel Answers

change location
lynmur's Profile Photo

Family Stay in NYC

by lynmur Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Looking at Adria Hotel in Bayside, Queens, anyone stayed here or heard of it at all??? Its like a minefield looking at all the options....

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • nicolaitan's Profile Photo

Re: Family Stay in NYC

by nicolaitan Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM

i don't know anything about the hotel itself but the area in bayside is pretty safe in general. the big problem - on northern boulevard at the cross island parkway you are a looooong way from the subway. there is frequent bus service on northern, but it is probably pretty spotty after mid evening.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dino335's Profile Photo

by dino335 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM

It's a 15 min walk to Bayside Long Island RR sattion, then 25 minutes to Penn Station Manhattan. Better to look at Hotels in Long Island City if you don't mind staying in Queens. Much closer to Manhattan and subway is cheaper than :IRR.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Far, far away. better looking is in Flushing Queens, but if it's your first time in the big apple and not staying too long, sometimes it's better to be in Times Square and pay for the extras. you will be right there. Avg room prices is 200usd and up, and sometimes worth it.

cheers tommy x

• travelmad478's Profile Photo

by travelmad478 Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM

If you want a cheaper price then stay in Long Island City (this is in Queens, right across the East River from Manhattan). There are quite a few hotels there now. Bayside is just too far away.

• zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Mar 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM

The Times Hotel, not too far from Times Square, usually has very good prices and is in a terrific location. The subway is just a block or so away. It's not a fancy hotel like some in the area, but it's clean and friendly. I wouldn't waste time staying so far away and using up hours to travel back and forth.

• mexine33's Profile Photo

by mexine33 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:43 AM

hi lynmur - unless you are paying rockbottom prices it is not worth it. They are well outside. You should try to stay in Manhattan- The Big Apple - the centre of the world. Google hotels in manhattan and you can also look into the Airbnb rental scheme. I used it once and it worked very well

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 5:10 PM

If you were visiting friends in the Bayside area of Queens, the Adria would be a great place to stay. It is primarily a hotel for business travelers and has a conference center. However if your family is planning on seeing the sights in Manhattan you would be surely disappointed. While the price may be attractive in you will still be spending time and dollars getting into the City.

I took the liberty of looking at the hotel's web site. While they offer rooms from $ 125 a night with a hot breakfast, they would charge you an additional $ 34 a night to get you to the Long Island RR station and buy you two tickets to Penn Station. Considering the time and money you would spend it is not worth it. Even if you took the express bus into Manhattan that stops right next to the hotel you would be looking at over $ 160 a day plus the time getting back and forth to the hotel.

If you are on a budget I would consider staying at the Larchmont Hotel on West 11th Street. It is in the Village but is very clean and it used to come with a free breakfast. It is very popular given the low rates per night.

On the other hand if you have more money I would recommend staying at the Staybridge Suites on West 42nd Street, with easy walking distance to Time Square, an incredible breakfast, and an evening social hour weeknights that will be like having a full meal. The rooms also have a small kitchen if you want to buy some food and eat in.

• walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:13 PM

i would recommend Ameritania Hotel. We stayed there few months back. Price is about $240. Get doubles bed so four can fit into each room. So pp is about $60. Times Square just around the corner. The price is quite reasonable given how expensive NYC can be.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines