New York City Travel Answers

change location

When to book, where to stay?

by rachjones Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:10 PM

My fiance and I are travelling to NYC for new years eve this year for our honeymoon and planning to leave Australia 28-29th Dec. My main questions are: 1) When should I book flights as I know this is peak time, should I be booking early or waiting for prices to come down 2) Where should we stay to have an amazing NYE 3) What is a great way to spend NYE?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Re: When to book, where to stay?

by blueskyjohn Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Don't wait more than 6 weeks out to book flight. And as you stated, it is a high travel time so looking two months or more out is a good idea. Airfare is too unpredictable to wait for a deal. If you really want to go, don't depend on the airlines and their rates.

As for where to stay, knowing your price range will help make suggestions.

Where to go for NYE, if you don't mind growds and want a real NYC experience, Time Square is the place to be.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Times Square is great if you have the view, but most are booked up early, but can always try. The hotels in TS is hard to get into and out of once the festival countdown starts, about 5pm. What happens is that if you do not have window seats and go outdoors of your hotel, you will have to stand out there for at least five hours. You can't bring alcohol, there are no bathrooms, sometimes it is freezing cold. I had a room at the Marriott at Times Square and I slept in it a total of four hours before we were given the boot, so stay an extra day after New Years Day. Anyway, right in front of the hotel was the ball drop and we stood for hours while many more people began to crowd the streets, it went past 59th street and beyond. It was a thrill the first time, but I will not do it again.At 12:15 after the ball drop, Times Square was half empty going on the revelers way, and we proceed to the bars until the weeeeeee hours. Four hours of sleep later, I felt like a homeless person especailly when I had to paid the valet parking there 35 usd to retrieve my auto. 450 for the room was no bargain as I say, if I do it again, I make sure we had one with the view.

cheers tommy x

• walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Book ASAP! Yes Times square is a good suggestion if u want to bask into the atmosphere.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

by Gili_S Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM

If you want to be sure you get there you should book early, flights and hotels. Airlines might have special offers which you should follow, if you are registered they usually send e-mail warning when special offers come up, but I doubt for new year you can get any special barging.
    Time Square is maybe the central, but depends on what you planning to do, I found out that the "village" is much more suitable for me as places to eat and drink are more interesting and not such touristy as in the center.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 4:45 AM

So i'll throw in an alternate idea:
    Times Square is one of my least favorite areas of NYC, and hotel prices are likely going to be astronomic there for NYE. And I personally wouldn't wish to be penned up for hours and hours in the cold (and without access to a loo). But obviously millions have done it and thought it was fun so there's no right or wrong, it's whatever appeals to you!

For honeymooners, I might suggest going to the fireworks in Central Park. We have a member who lives in the city (and may jump in here) and has recommended that one several times in the past.

As John mentioned, knowing your price range would be helpful for suggesting hotels?

• clareabee's Profile Photo

by clareabee Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 2:34 AM

If it is for such a special occasion like your honeymoon i wouldn't wait for a 'deal' as I don't think you are going to find one. We used trailfinders (not sure if you have one in Australia) who looked for hotels for us in our budget and we got a very nice hotel - granted it was february! If you are going to book your flights and hotel yourself book as early as possible - check if the airline you are using do offers that include hotels or alternatively if there is a hotel(s) you like register on their websites for deals.
    Personally (and no offence to anybody that has done it) I couldn't think of anything worse than being stuck in Times Square for NYC - its bad enough on an average day! (in terms of crowds etc). I would much prefer to go for a nice meal.....or as Goodfish suggests fireworks in Central Park sounds amazing!!!!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines