New York City Travel Answers

change location
bennforlife's Profile Photo

What hotel to stay in Upper West Side/Manhattan

by bennforlife Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Hey guys, I'm attending a conference at Lincoln Center for 2 days. Afterwards I plan on taking a little vacation for a few more days around NYC.

My question is... does anyone recommend any hotels nearby Lincoln Center? I'll be flying in the night before the conference and don't want to be trying to navigate the subway system the next morning. I'd rather be in decent walking distance.

Second question... For the remainder of my trip after the conference, should I stay around the same or book a different hotel?

Here are some of the regular tourist attractions I want to see: 

1. Coney Island
  2. Empire State Building
  3. Time Square
  4.  Harry Potter The Exhibit
  5. Central Park
  6. West Village Stroll
  7. P.S. 1 Contemporary Art Center
  8. Grand Central Terminal
  9. Tiffany's (Breakfast at Tiffany's)
  10. American Museum of Natural History
  11. Apollo Theater
  12. Rockefeller Center
  13. Queens Museum of Art
  14. Radio City Music Hall
  15. Little Italy
  16. Twin towers memorial
  17. Chinatown

Sorry for such a broad general question. Hopefully you guys can point me on the right direction!

disclaimer: I've had a few white russians tonight so hopefully my question makes sense 

Quote & Answer
17 Answers
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

Re: What hotel to stay in Upper West Side/Manhattan

by zuriga Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 11:37 PM

www.quikbook.com often has very good deals for hotels in Manhattan. I find it better talking to one of their people on the phone, but the website is fine, too. It's so easy to get around Manhattan that it really doesn't matter what area you want to stay in. If you like the Lincoln Center hotel, you'll be fine remaining there, or maybe a change of scene to another area would be fun.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 11:38 PM

We stayed recently at Ameritania Hotel on the 54th St. Times Square n broadway theaters just round the corner. Decent hotel and reasonable price at around $240 per room per night. I think Lincoln Center is about 15 min walk from the hotel, so it can be convenient.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I recommend the Hotel Metro with confidence. Its right next to Empire State Building, and in a great location for almost everything Have a look at my review here:

New York City Hotel Tips by lynnehamman

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Hey Benn - after the last week, I'm sure you NEED some time off! HA!

Question? Do you have an accommodation budget? And how important is the vibe of the neighborhood to you? Granted you'll be out and about all day but in the evenings do you want to be in an area with, say, sort of a young, funky vibe, lots of ethnic restaurants, maybe sort of artsy/alternative, fun bars. Or don't you care?

Our New Yorkers will know best but there might be some pockets up around that side that may be more your thing than another. Also, what's "walking distance" to you? Are you just looking at to/from LC morning/evening or wanting to be able to stop back to your hotel in the middle of the day?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 3:07 AM

To make the most of your time group the things you'd like to see by location and buy whatever tickets you can in advance. Don't know when you're coming, but it's really cold now. :-)

The Harry Potter exhibit is very cool (took an out of town relative there) - tickets are here - http://www.discoverytsx.com/. You can do Empire State Building, Times Square, Grand Central Terminal, Rockefeller Center, Radio City Music Hall, and the Harry Potter Exhibit together.

Central Park & Museum of Natural History together, and Chinatown, Little Italy, West Village, & Twin Towers Memorial (911 Memorial) together. You should pre-book the 911 Memorial tickets as well - http://www.911memorial.org/ (they're free). While you're down this way, you might want to take a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for nice views of lower Manhattan. They're doing a lot of work on the bridge now so it's not as nice as it usually is.

Apollo Theater, PS 1 Contemporary Art Center, Queens Museum of Art, and Coney Island are a little further out. If it's winter, Coney Island won't have the same appeal as in the spring or summer. The aquarium is right there on the boardwalk but not one of the best aquariums. The original Nathan's is there so you MUST stop for a hot dog. And you MUST take a ride on the rickety Cyclone!!

Along with walking (it's easy to walk long distances in NYC without even realizing it), take the subways to get around. Buses may even work if changing subways becomes a hassle.

Have a great time in NYC! If you're up for a meet, let us know. The NYC group gets together frequently and we'd love to meet you.

2 members found this helpful

• QuigleyM's Profile Photo

by QuigleyM Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Hi there! Having lived in NYC for years, I would say that you're fine staying in the same hotel near Lincoln Center for your whole stay. It's a great area to be in--close enough to Times Square and Midtown attractions without constantly have to elbow your way through tourists. With both the 1,2,3 trains and the A,C running right through there (C and 1 at Columbus Circle, 1 only at Lincoln Center), you'll be easily connected to the Times Square subway station, where you can catch almost every other line in the system. As for a hotel, the Empire is wonderful, as is the Hudson, but if budget is an issue, there's also a Comfort Inn. Check them out here: prontohotel.com/usa/new_york...

• 10028's Profile Photo

by 10028 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM

As you've probably already noticed, hotels are crazy expensive here, and prices fluctuate by date. If you have a budget in mind, it would help narrow down a list of recommended hotels.

The Lincoln Center area is lovely, and convenient for transportation. It's also a family-friendly neighborhood, so if you're looking for a lively nightlife scene, I'd suggest you head to the lower east side, or even over to Williamsburg.

Another thought is to use priceline for your vacation stay. Betterbidding.com is a great help, and even offers a calendar of recent winning bids for different areas. You can cross-check their list against hotel reviews on tripadvisor. Another good source is oyster.com, which posts room photos of many hotels.

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM

The Empire Hotel is right across Lincoln Center itself.

A bit farther down in the Hell's Kitchen area - a good 8-10 mins. walk to Lincoln Center - and less pricey, have a look at:

-The Belvedere Hotel -The Skyline Hotel - The Michaelangelo - The Econo Lodge

• bennforlife's Profile Photo

by bennforlife Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Hi guys! Thanks for all the great help! I'm in the process of reading through all of your answers and figuring out airfare costs so I know how much I can spend on a hotel.

Which leads me this question. Which airport should I fly into?

1. JFK
    2. LaGuardia
    3. Newark Airport

I'd love to fly Virgin America, but they only fly into Newark. Are there shuttle buses or will I have to pay for a taxi to get into the city?

Thanks in advance! I'm sure I'm going to have a ton more questions 

and on a final note.. I'm traveling there May 1st to ???

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Newark does have shuttles that goes into Manhatten MSG area.

cheers tommy x

• 10028's Profile Photo

by 10028 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM

LaGuardia is closest to Manhattan, but public transportation isn't good. But for international flights, your choice is usually between Newark and JFK. Public transport from JFK is easiest and cheapest. The JFK Airtrain ($5) connects to the subway for direct service to Manhattan. To most destinations the trip is under an hour. From Newark it's a little more -- the Airtrain connects you to New Jersey Transit (a suburban rail line) that you take into New York's Penn Station. Unless your hotel is right there (convenient but ugly location!), you'll then need to take a bus, taxi or subway. So, if you have a choice of any airport, go with JFK. But if you're set on flying Virgin, go for it!

Post back when you've fixed your hotel budget.

• Elyzabeth's Profile Photo

by Elyzabeth Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I wouls advise you to sty in the ame location as it is central to subway going to all areas. I'm a native New Yorker, and your list leaves out the Jewell in the crown. "The Metropolitan Mseum of Art", also the Museum of Modern Art.

Ditch the Queens museumof Art, unless it has a specila exhibit taht you wna to see, Coney Island..? Only if the weather is very nice if you do go , plan to have a Nathan's hot Dog !You can do a lot of walking in NY, always things to see as you pass by...Greenwich Village, (where I was born and  grew up there.  walk around  Mac Dougal street, lot of fun stores to see.. i
    walk over to the East Village go to "DOJO's" (FAB!)

they have wonderful veggie berger with salad and the best TAHAINI dressing ANYWHERE !!! Have a great time !

• Re: What hotel to stay in Upper West Side/Manhattan

by JackyJamaly Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Whatever hotel you chose it is always better to see reviews. During my last time visit to NY I happened to stay in really creepy place. If I have read some at least some reviews in the web, it wouldn't happen to me. pissedconsumer.com/browse-re...

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Hi and welcome to Virtual Tourist, JackyJamaly. Yes, it's always good to do some research before booking accommodations and there are many reputable sources for doing that.

You're logged into one of the best. :O)

Along with our own Virtual Tourist, booking, com, venere.com, Trip Advisor and several other travel review or booking sites have a wealth of information from previous guests about their chosen accommodations. You don't want to just look at the negative feedback; it's as important to read positive reviews as well for a balanced viewpoint.

So post a request here for hotel ideas before your next adventure, eh?

• giampiero6's Profile Photo

by giampiero6 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 6:29 PM

White Russians?

What are you the dude?

by bennforlife Online Now Apr 5, 2013 at 3:31 PM

goodfish wrote:
    Hey Benn - after the last week, I'm sure you NEED some time off! HA!

Question? Do you have an accommodation budget? And how important is the vibe of the neighborhood to you? Granted you'll be out and about all day but in the evenings do you want to be in an area with, say, sort of a young, funky vibe, lots of ethnic restaurants, maybe sort of artsy/alternative, fun bars. Or don't you care?

Our New Yorkers will know best but there might be some pockets up around that side that may be more your thing than another. Also, what's "walking distance" to you? Are you just looking at to/from LC morning/evening or wanting to be able to stop back to your hotel in the middle of the day?

Definitely want something with a 20-30 year old crowd. From what I've put together it seems like Lincoln center is around a more upper class area? Anyways I'd like to be within walking distance of Lincoln center for at least the 1st couple of days. Would it fine/safe to hang out in another part of town at night and take the subway back.

by bennforlife Online Now Apr 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM

QuigleyM wrote:
    Hi there! Having lived in NYC for years, I would say that you're fine staying in the same hotel near Lincoln Center for your whole stay. It's a great area to be in--close enough to Times Square and Midtown attractions without constantly have to elbow your way through tourists. With both the 1,2,3 trains and the A,C running right through there (C and 1 at Columbus Circle, 1 only at Lincoln Center), you'll be easily connected to the Times Square subway station, where you can catch almost every other line in the system. As for a hotel, the Empire is wonderful, as is the Hudson, but if budget is an issue, there's also a Comfort Inn. Check them out here: prontohotel.com/usa/new_york...

I was thinking about staying at the Hudson. Worried about all the talk about the tiny room sizes though. 

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines