New York City Travel Answers

change location

Hotel

by gioraeytan Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 1:51 AM

I will be in May in new york city and i am looking for a good hotel around times square (between 40 and-55 streets and 5- to 8th ave.) My budget is ~$350. Any one have a recommendation?

Sincerely, Giora

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • yvr's Profile Photo

Re: Hotel

by yvr Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Tanke a look at the website booking.com it is an excellente tool for finding hotels. The site will enable you to choose the area you wish to stay, price can be in US or anyother currency you wish. Informaiton is ample, mostly with pictures and you can read reviews of pasts guest about this property. Once you find a hotel that fits your budget and that you like, prior to booking on the booking.com website go to the actual hotel website and check prices their, if little or no differene then book directly. This saves time if there are problems when checking in and so on, because you are dealing directly with the hotel, and not a third party, but booking.com is excellent, use it all the time, and have never had a problem.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Feb 16, 2013 at 8:16 AM

we recently stayed at Ameritania Hotel at 54th St. Google it. Convenient location with theaters n Times Sq. just round the corner. The lobby is funky red. Room is decent. Price around -$240. Certainly lower than your budget..

• 10028's Profile Photo

by 10028 Online Now Feb 17, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Is there a special reason you want to be near Times Square? So many first-time visitors think it's the center of everything. It's so much nicer to stay in a residential neighborhood, where you'll find more local shops and restaurants rather than national chains.

I particularly like the upper west side, a large vibrant, "real" neighborhood. Especially in May, it's nice to be near Central Park, Riverside Park, the Museum of Natural History, Lincoln Center and more. If you're seeing a lot of Broadway shows (the only real reason to be near Times Square), it's a short easy ride (one stop on the subway, or a quick direct bus ride), or a pleasant walk.

Probably the most-recommended hotel on the UWS is the Beacon. You should check reviews on tripadvisor, and compare rates with other popular UWS hotels -- Lucerne, Excelsior, Belleclaire, Milburn.

Another neighborhood to consider is Murray Hill, on the east side. Also very convenient to transit, and a short walk to many popular destinations. Recommended hotels include the Affinia Dumont and Affinia Shelburne.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines