New Washington

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Additional information: Manila Nightlife

Boracay Island Mar 23, 2015 at 12:04 AM

So to get to Boracay, I will have to spend a night or two in Manila. Sounds exciting. I am, however, very uninformed about the area.

Please answer the following questions, if possible and knowledgeable:

1. I will be flying from Hawaii to Manila. Long-ish flight. Is there a hotel by the airport that is close to the nightlife?
      2. I would like to avoid "girly bars" / prostitutes / ______ / pay for ______. Is this possible?
      3. Only staying 1 - 3 nights. Not looking for wholesome entertainment, but perhaps, a good bar with cheap beer and nice people to talk to.
      4. Any "main drag" like Bangkok's Sukhumvit? If so, what is the name and proximity to the airport?
      5. Any good, budget hotels in this area? Maybe $30 - 60 USD per nite?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Oh, yeah.

I am a white American. I have read that the most dangerous part of landing in Manila is negotiating a taxi cab to my hotel. I am well-traveled, but what is the likelihood of robbery if arriving late at night. Mind you, I will get a legitimate taxi with no one in the back seat.

Any and all answers are appreciated. Thank you. :)

more
    • Can anybody please assist in this matter?

Boracay Island Mar 18, 2015 at 7:21 PM

Hello,

I am a white, 30-something American who is interested in spending the summer months of June - August in Boracay. I am educated, professional, and well-traveled and have spent time in Bangkok, Thailand, Bali, Indonesia, and Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

I have a few questions to ask regarding travels to and stays in Boracay.

1. How old are the typical visitors to Boracay who enjoy the nightlife / party scene? Are they in there 20s, or are there people in their 30s, 40s, and 50s there, too? Are there many westerners there?

Bangkok and Bali both had visitors from their teens to their 70s, so that was cool. Is Boracay the same?

2. Do the women express interest in westerners? If so, what is their motivation?

I enjoyed the attention of members of the opposite sex during my travels throughout Thailand and Indonesia, but they were not exactly after my good looks. In Mexico, it was close to impossible to get the attention of women because I felt that they saw me as a white tourist with limited Spanish speaking skills.

3. Is the nightlife scene lively 7 nights a week? Or is it only on the weekends? Are some nights better than others?

4. Is it okay to enjoy alcoholic beverages in the open, or should I keep them concealed? Mind you, I am not going to be stumbling drunk down the beach with a keg, but rather discreet and enjoying a cold beer under the shade of a tree.

5. Is it possible to rent an apartment there? Or is my only option to check in to a hotel? If apartments are available, what is the weekly / monthly rate in pesos?

6. Will I get bored if I stay over sixty days?

7. What is the nightlife like during late May to early August?

I have read that this is the low-season, but a huge part of the reason why I am interested in visiting Boracay is for its nightlife. The only time during the year that I can visit is from late May till early August.

I DO NOT MIND CROWDS. I like a bustling nightlife. Though it is no doubt tuned down during the low-season, I need assistance in answering these questions:

a. Can I still expect a bustling nightlife?
      b. Will all the bars and clubs be open?
      c. Will there be people on the streets enjoying themselves?
      d. Will there be other westerners there?
      e. Will the bars and clubs stay open late into the night?
      f. Will it be possible to go to the bars and clubs 7 nights a week?

I know this is a lot to ask and some of it even redundant, but I have been involved on numerous forums about foreign destinations in the past and have always enjoyed some of the insight and information that members with intimate knowledge of those locations have provided in the past, and I hope to find some useful information here on this forum.

Again, I would appreciate any and all helpful responses. I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you.

more
    • Seeking Information on Visa for Boracay

Boracay Island Mar 21, 2015 at 4:44 PM

Is there a way to get the tourist visa extended beyond the 30 day limit on the island of Boracay?

Or do I need to go to the Philippine embassy in my home country to apply for an extended visa?

Please advise. I will be on the island for approximately 40 days.

Thank you.

more