New Quay Travel Answers

change location

Planning a trip to New Quay

by duchessofwhales Online Now Jun 14, 2011 at 11:49 AM

We are planning to visit New Quay next year. My mother was born there and I want to spend some time getting to know the place and walking the Ceredigion Coastal Path. Thought we would also spend a day in Aberystwyth. We will be traveling by train/bus. Is there anything I should especially see that is near enough and I'm able to get to by walking or public transport? Any advice? When I ask friends if they have been to Wales - it seems that Holyhead is about the only place they have been. Travel books are frustrating since they seem to skip that part of the coast in their descriptions. Do you think 3-4 days is enough time? Thanks for the feedback.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Planning a trip to New Quay

by leics Online Now Jun 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I know lots about quite a lot of Wales, but haven't been to New Quay since I was a very little girl.

Whilst you are waiting for other VT-ers to reply do look at the VT New Quay pages. You'll find some info about what to see and where to visit nearby:

New Quay Travel Guide

You'll also find plenty on the official tourist information website:

http://www.visitnewquay.org/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Planning a trip to New Quay

by duchessofwhales Online Now Jun 14, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Thanks. I have been to both sites and found them helpful but was looking for more info. Since I have never been to Wales I don't have a good sense of how to get around (or how to pronounce the names!) as well as what is worth making the effort to get there.

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Jun 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Although not born in Wales I spent many holidays in my young years in North Wales and Snowdonia and arrived in South Wales as a student in 1954. I still live in Wales.

I got to know South & West Wales very well particularly after my marriage when I became a member of a Welsh speaking family with links in West Wales.
    In recent years we have spent many holidays on the North Pembrokeshire coast with regular sorties over the border into Ceredigion. It has a beautiful coastal line and a good bus service to help you along the way.
    From Aberystwyth south to Mwnt with its tiny ancient chapel above the cove, the scenery is magnificent and if you venture over the border into Pembrokeshire don’t miss the smallest City in the UK at St. Davids with its Cathedral and Bishop’s Palace.
    In fact I think you would be hard pressed to do justice to the Coastal Path in 3/4 days - there are wonderful wild life scenes along the coast with good local transport links along the Cerigion Heritage Coast and the Pembrokeshire National Park Coastal Path - look out for the Poppit Rocket - the bus from Poppit Sands /St Dogmaels to the Parrog in Newport.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any more specific questions.

You might find these links of interest -

cardiganshirecoastandcountry...

tourism.ceredigion.gov.uk/wa...

Croeso i Gymru !

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Jun 14, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Bus times for the local area can be seen here

ceredigion.gov.uk/index.cfm?...

The 550 and X50 go from New Quay (or should we call it Ceinewydd?) to Aberystwyth and Cardigan. Cardigan Castle looks interesting - see http://www.cardigancastle.com/en

I can't find a bus map but it looks like only one other bus, the 551, serves New Quay.

Observe that buses around New Quay do not run at all on Sundays.

I cannot speak or understand Welsh having been to the Welsh Speaking area there only a very few times. And not that area at all. So I cannot help with pronunciation, sorry.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Having like in Wales for several years I can offer:

w is pronounced 'oo' (short sound, as in 'oops')

l is pronounced 'l' but ll is pronounced like the ch at the end of loch

f is pronounced 'v', ff as f.

u is pronounced more like 'i'

dd is 'th' (as in pith')

y is mostly pronounced more like uh but can also be pronounced like 'I'.

But it doesn't really matter if you make a mistake. Everyone in Wales is fully bilingual, will understand where you mean and will correct you if necessary! :-)

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 14, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Correction: every Welsh-speaker in Wales (and there are many, many of them) is fully bilingual. There are also plenty of non-Welsh speakers as well.

• ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Jun 15, 2011 at 1:07 AM

As already indicated you need not worry about the language.
    Wales receives many non Welsh speaking visitors from all over the world and a large percentage of the population do not speak Welsh.

One of the most difficult sounds for non Welsh speakers is the double l “ll” which frequently begins place names like Llandudno. The easiest way to get your tongue around this one is to say “thlan”

There are numerous aids to pronunciation - I’d start with the simple booklet Get by in Welsh - and take a look at a couple of online sites where you can actually listen to how the words sound..

abebooks.com/Get-Welsh-Heini...

kc3.co.uk/~bicycle/sideways/...

heart-of-wales.co.uk/welsh.h...

Don’t be misled into thinking that people you come across conversing in Welsh are ignoring you or being rude - they are simply passing the time of day in their own first language!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 15, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Another correction: I did ''like' in Wales for several years, but I also lived there..which is what I meant to write! :-)

Ll is a gutteral sort of sound; the nearest equivalent is the ch at the end of loch, but everyone would know exactly what you meant if you just said e.g. 'Llangollen' with English 'l' pronunciation.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines