New Orleans Travel Answers

change location
Gillybob's Profile Photo

What are my transportation options?

by Gillybob Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 11:14 AM

So, it seems I have made a muck up of part of my plans. For some curious reason (only known to TPTB), Greyhound does not run a service on Wednesday, 1 May from Biloxi to NOLA - it runs on Tuesday, it runs on Thursday, just not on Wednesday.

I have e-mailed my hotel in Biloxi and also Gulf Coast Transportation. The other option is to travel by Greyhound from Biloxi to Mobile and then Mobile to NOLA.

Anyone out there want to throw any other options in the mix?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: What are my transportation options?

by goodfish Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Gillybob, I wonder if it's showing nothing for that day because the schedule - like regional Italian trains - only goes so far out? In this case, I'm guessing it's a month. When I pull up the April schedule for buses, everything on the pop-up calendar beyond May 1 is greyed out. April 24th is a Wed, and it does show a bus leaving Biloxi at 2:55 for NOLA, and it shows the same for all other Wed, in April before the 24th.

Take a look and see if you see the same thing?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by goodfish Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 11:39 AM

OOPS. Never mind - that wasn't the problem as buses DO run on Wed. May 8th. Still looking.....

1 member found this helpful

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM

There used to be a shuttle from Biloxi/Gulfport to New Orleans Airport, but it does not appear to be running any longer. This company is listed (on the Gulfport visitors site) as providing trips to New Orleans. It may be worth it to contact them. http://www.goldengulflimo.com/

I've always thought that the Gulf Coast had the worst public transportation in the country.

by goodfish Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 5:39 AM

OK, I haven't looked into Colin's reco yet but have stubbornly covered ANY other option I can find - Amtrak connections, gambling junket shuttles, private shuttle, Greyhound to other locations - and it appears you're right: the best bet is Greyhound to Mobile and Mobile to NOLA:

Biloxi to Mobile - 10:00 - 11:10 AM $16.00 Mobile - NOLA 1:25 PM - 3:45 PM $15.00

It may not be optimal but it's WAY better - cost/time-wise - than anything else I've seen. Methinks I'd book it, Girlfriend.

1 member found this helpful

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

by Gillybob Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 5:44 AM

You're very right, Kate. Of course, I'm now intrigued as to WHY the Greyhound isn't running that day and what am I letting myself in for....

Still, all the fun of the fair (as they say)!!

by goodfish Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 5:52 AM

Me too - can think of no earthy reason why they aren't running the New Orleans route on that particular Wed. Will do some poking around the NOLA sites to see if there's a clue....

But lordy, some of the other routes to other stations in LA and then backtracking to NOLA were 11-12 hour nightmares; makes this one look like a walk in the park. Oh well, at least you'll arrive right about check-in time! :O)

by goodfish Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 6:08 AM

(Apologies - hope this isn't too off topic)

Just took a look and you will be landing into NOLA during their annual (and VERY famous) Jazz Festival: the city is going to be VERY busy.

http://www.nojazzfest.com

It runs over two weekends (4/26 - 4/28, and 5/2 - 5/5), and there's a big convention going on too (http://www.wcefneworleans.com) but nothing I can see yet that would mess up a bus schedule.

'Cause it's experienced-traveler you, I figure you've gotten hotel reservations, right? That would be a real good thing during this fest. Gosh, we've had that one on our to-do list for YEARS.

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 6:31 AM

I think there are a number of things going on with the schedule.

1. The route is contracted. If you look at the schedule, the carrier code is "COP". When the route is operated by Greyhound and driven by a Greyhound driver, that shows as "GLI". What's weird is that "COP" is not listed in the index of carrier code, so it's hard to tell who they are.

2. The route in question services what used to be Amtrak's Sunset Limited. This was canceled in 2005 after Katrina destroyed tracks near New Orleans. What's odd though is that Wednesday is a westbound departure morning for the train from New Orleans.

3. The Mobile to New Orleans Greyhound route is now part of their "express" service. This means that they likely completely skip around Biloxi/Gulfport, leaving it open to "COP". If you look at the schedule for Wednesday from Mobile to New Orleans, you'll notice that a couple of the routes are "COP" and, in the details, there's no mention of stopping in Biloxi or Gulfport.

Very intriguing. Good thing my work is slow at the moment. ;)
    Calling the Biloxi Greyhound station to find who "COP" is would probably help you figure it out more.

• Gillybob's Profile Photo

by Gillybob Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Kate, I have the hotel reservation - that was done a good while ago when I discovered that I had accidentally stumbled on NOLA at one of the busiest times to visit - and probably one of the best.

Colin, like you, I find this intriguing. Any other day and I could take a direct Greyhound - but Wednesday, 1 May 2013 will stand out as a no-Greyhound direct service. Still, with check out times and check-in times being what they are, it's no biggie to route via Mobile - and certainly a lot cheaper than $159 to hire a private shuttle!

by goodfish Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 1:25 AM

LOL, I figured you had gotten yourself a bed. And yes, you're going to be there at a VERY good time; I'm so jealous!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines