New Orleans Travel Answers

change location
KrossX's Profile Photo

How safe is the warehouse district area by the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center?

by KrossX Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Going to NOLA for a convention and all the hotels around the convention center appear to be either booked up completely or asking for ridiculous rates the week of our conference (March).
A couple of us are thinking of renting a place. It appears to be nicely renovated, by Camp Street, in the warehouse district.
Apparently it's within a mile walking radius of both the convention center and FQ, which is great. However, how safe is that area of the town? Safe enough to walk around in the evenings to/from dinner/drinks in addition to the usual daytime to and fro?
First time in New Orleans so please excuse my ignorance; no offense meant to any current/former residents of the town with my question.

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: How safe is the warehouse district area by the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center?

by Agraichen Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I have always found New Orleans to be walkable even in the alleged "worst" sections. I would not walk in some areas late at night alone (although I've done it) but it should be fine.

I once stayed a few blocks beyond the Esplanade before the Esplanade began to be "cleaned up." I walked there after being in the French Quarter the weekend before Mardi Gras and never had an issue.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: How safe is the warehouse district area by the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center?

by riorich55 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 8:27 AM

On my last business trip to New Orleans a couple of years ago I walked around this district during the daylight hours. There seemed to be quite a bit of construction going around which is usually a good sign for an up and coming area. Like any big city as long as there are plenty of people around and if it is an area that is gearing itself for tourist you should be OK. I will let others who may have been to that area give you a better idea what to expect in the evening.

Taking cabs is the best way to get around in New Orleans. It is expensive to park, so I wouldn't rent a car especially if you are not going to really venture away from New Orleans.

Be sure to get to Cafe du Monde in the evening of anytime as a matter of fact. Also look into some nice dining in the Garden District of New Orleans which is an easy cab ride from where you are staying.

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM

It's a good hike from there to the French Quarter, but March shouldn't be too bad for that. The area has experienced somewhat of a boom in the past few areas. A few restaurants and bars followed a group of hotels that were set up, mostly along Peters. Not a bad area, but it can be somewhat dead at night. If you returned from the Quarter after 9 or so with 1-2 people, I would probably take a cab. With a big group though, you should be fine. I'm somewhat surprised to hear of a rental house in this area. It's mostly commercial and industrial until the south side of the bridge (which is not the Warehouse District, so I hope that's not what you're referring to).

2 members found this helpful

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 9:21 AM

We stayed in the area (two blocks west of the EMCC) for a conference some years ago and didn't find it to be a problem. I will admit that we got ourselves back to the hotel before the wee hours when streets in that area will be more deserted.

I walked to the FQ and back once or twice a day by myself while The Husband was attending sessions and I didn't really feel unsafe at all.

As in any other tourist city, take the usual precautions with your valuables, leave the "bling" at home, and grab a cab if something doesn't smell right.

• Louisev1's Profile Photo

by Louisev1 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Don't apologize. That's a very valid question. I have a house in Algiers & live in Chicago. I haven't been back since last May. Warehouse Dist. has loads of galleries & resto's. Magazine Str. is chock full of great stuff too. Walking during the day is probably fine. Even I wouldn't risk walking at night. Taxi's for some reason aren't cheap there though. I have found United taxi to be the most reliable. Just remember, it can get to be swamp hot, & you might not want to walk. March might be o.k. though. I don't like walking at night in NOLA, cuz of the roaches. They are all over the sidewalks & they creep me out. Also, the crime down there is very indiscriminate & often unnecessarily violent for what is petty crime in most other places.. Be aware.  Do your research on the place you are considering. Is it a private home, or a b&b?

by goodfish Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 10:12 AM

bocmaxima wrote:I'm somewhat surprised to hear of a rental house in this area. It's mostly commercial and industrial until the south side of the bridge (which is not the Warehouse District, so I hope that's not what you're referring to).

I'm concerned about that too as the Warehouse isn't really a residential housing area. I'd check the address very carefully as Camp is a loooooooong street and this rental could be a looooong hike from the convention center.  

• KrossX's Profile Photo

by KrossX Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM

bocmaxima wrote:

I'm somewhat surprised to hear of a rental house in this area. It's mostly commercial and industrial until the south side of the bridge (which is not the Warehouse District, so I hope that's not what you're referring to).

The house is a renovated place, apparently on the block of Camp St. between St Joseph St and Julia St.

So it is 6-7 blocks from the convention center and about the same from Canal St.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by goodfish Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM

We were at Embassy Suites about 3 blocks east on Julia so pretty close. I just took a virtual "walk" on your block and it looks OK: pretty clean. Nothing for restaurants there, and I saw a couple of neatly boarded up buildings and some parking lots but there's also a law office and a gallery on that block and a couple of nicely renovated (multi-unit) buildings. I'm guessing your accommodations would be in one of those.

I'd just book it and then ask around the neighborhood when you get there about taking cabs at night. Probably be a good idea if it's late and you'll be walking into an area where most businesses will be closed and the street deserted at night.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Hmpf, I'm surprised to hear of residences there, too, but I guess you don't mean a single family house, but an urban building that happens to have an apartment or two.

I don't know if you've noticed, but this address is a block over and a block down from the National World War II Museum (formerly the National D-Day Museum). This museum is a good part of the renovation going on around here, because of all the money that actor Tom Hanks and the late Stephen Ambrose have poured into and raised money for the complex. I assume that you will go see it.

We stayed at the Residence Inn down a couple of blocks on St. Joseph, and we had no problems. To be fair, we are a sizable family, and I had a car, so I ferried people back and forth from there to the Quarter as needed. In other posts about this area, I have told people that if you're in the Quarter late at night and want to go home to this area, that no one would think it odd if you taxi'd back, especially if you were on the far end of the Quarter.

We found the area as the others have noted: full of construction, at times a bit deserted, not unsafe during the day or early evening, but note that NO is noted for its crime and drunken or unwary tourists are an easy target...

As for a car, the comment about parking is right, but if you have private parking at this residence, then it may be worth it, just to be able to go to the far side of the Quarter or go out of town like to the Jean Lafitte National Historical Park to see lots of alligators and poison ivy ;-) Driving, while congested, if no worse than other major cities, and takes place at a pretty slow speed in the Quarter ;-)...

Bill

• KrossX's Profile Photo

by KrossX Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Well, we stayed at 838 Camp St and the stay was phenomenal! It was a 5-10 minute walk to the convention center, and a short cab ride ($6-$9) from Bourbon St. The house was indeed in the warehouse district and didn't look like much from the outside but was newly renovated, spacious, and very nicely decorated on the inside. All in all, it was definitely the most bang for the buck.
    Thank you everyone for your feedback and advice!

by goodfish Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Excellent!!!!! Glad it worked out for you!!!!
    Did you love New Orleans????

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM

KrossX wrote:
    Well, we stayed at 838 Camp St and the stay was phenomenal! It was a 5-10 minute walk to the convention center, and a short cab ride ($6-$9) from Bourbon St. The house was indeed in the warehouse district and didn't look like much from the outside but was newly renovated, spacious, and very nicely decorated on the inside. All in all, it was definitely the most bang for the buck. Thank you everyone for your feedback and advice!

Standard VTer line:  "We are always delighted when someone has a great time despite our advice!"

Oh, wait! I was in favor of this, wasn't I? Well, I am doubly glad that it worked out...and that you came back to tell us!

Bill

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines