New Orleans Travel Answers

change location

Long weekend in New Orleans

by janicebistis Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I want to take my husband for a surprise long weekend to New Orleans Arrive Friday leave Tues morning. Is this time enough to experience the city and what should I do in this amount of time. Thanks

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: Long weekend in New Orleans

by riorich55 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I would think the would be enough time. New Orleans is a rather small town. Walk in the French Quarter and expect some surprises as you pass the doorways of some places on Bourbon Street. Head over to Cafe Du Monde for some little puff pastries with powder sugar (I can't spell the real name of these little delights). See some of the above ground cemeteries. Take a ride on the old fashioned street cars. Head on over to the Garden District and have some very nice food at any of the restaurants in town. Take in a Preservation Hall Jazz Band concert. Go a little bit out of town and see an old restored plantation. Head over to the Audabon Zoo.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 7:55 PM

It gives you the right amount of time to enjoy the city, music and good food and leave. The weekend reserve to go out and have a great time, food , fun and music. The rest of the days sit back and relax in a recovery mode. Check out VT post on places to go. Even though there are post on crime, just be aware of your surrounding. Have a good time and listen to some great jazz music.

Cheers tommy x

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 3:15 AM

We spent a week in NOLA and found plenty to do but you'll certainly get a nice taste of the city in 3 and 1/2 days or so. I don't know what the two of you enjoy doing on your vacation time but I would suggest:

• A walking tour of the city is a good idea for an overview of the history, architecture and cemeteries. We used Historic N.O. Tours and enjoyed our walk very much. I might suggest these two:

tourneworleans.com/fqtour_se...

tourneworleans.com/cemetery_...

It is usually a good idea to explore the cemeteries with a group: they've been known not to be the safest places to go alone although I did Lafayette out in the Garden District on my own.

I'll also highly recommend a few hours at the Cabildo: the historic building where the Louisiana Purchased was signed, now a terrific museum covering the fascinating (really, it is!!!) history of Louisiana.

crt.state.la.us/museum/prope...

Take a short, free ride on the Algiers/Canal Street Ferry, and walk about a bit on Algiers Point:

http://friendsoftheferry.org

neworleans.about.com/od/neig...

Yes, you'll definitely want to see Preservation Hall and hear the band: jazz is an rich piece of NOLA's history:

preservationhall.com/hall/in...

For sure, take a wander though the French Market!

neworleansonline.com/directo...">neworleansonline.com/directo...

Agreed: MUST have beignets at Cafe du Monde!

http://www.cafedumonde.com

NOLA has a very good art museum, and you'll get to take a ride on the Canal Street streetcar to get there:

http://noma.org

In between, just pottering about the Quarter and riverfront - enjoying any live music you may run across - is fun. I heard some terrific bands over some yummy frozen daiquiris here:

http://www.gazebocafenola.com

Lots to do!!! You'll find good information on the NOLA tourism site, or we can offer additional suggestions if you tell us a bit more about your interests?

http://www.neworleansonline.com

• Rixie's Profile Photo

by Rixie Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 7:48 AM

That will be enough time to whet your appetite for a second visit! The music and the food in New Orleans are amazing, and the people are friendly. I try to get down there once a year and still find things to do.

Some suggestions: Visit the World War II Museum and the Museum of the Confederacy.

Take the St. Charles streetcar all the way from Canal to Riverbend, past the stately homes in the Garden District and the universities Uptown - at the end of the line, watch them flip the wooden seats on the streetcar to face the other way!

Try the local food - red beans and rice, gumbo, crawfish etoufee, shrimp and grits...As other posters have mentioned, beignets at the Cafe du Monde are a must, and I would add burgers at Port of Call to that list. So many wonderful restaurants, casual and upscale, to try in this city. Several of them are currently semifinalists for the James Beard Awards.

Go and hear the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, take in the music at a small club, or just listen to the street musicians.

Go dancing and/or bowling at Mid-City Lanes, aka Rock 'N' Bowl.

Walk through the French Market and buy souvenirs and gifts to take home.

Stroll along Riverwalk and go to the Aquarium.

Take the free ferry to Algiers on the other side of the Mississippi.

Be sure to read the pages that our members have written about New Orleans There's a search box at the top right of your screen.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Rixie wrote:

Be sure to read the pages that our members have written about New Orleans There's a search box at the top right of your screen.

Haha - great idea but don't look at mine 'cause I just realized that all my links need to be updated!!  

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Feb 23, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Original poster, let us know that you have read these when you check back in.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines