New Haven Travel Answers

change location
leics's Profile Photo

First question.....daytrips?

by leics Online Now Jan 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I'd appreciate ideas for day trips out of New Haven.

I will almost certainly hire a car and am willing to drive up to 2.5/3 hours each way.

I'm also interested in potential daytrips by train, with a maximum journey time of around 2/2.5 hours each way.

I'm interested in almost everything except sport and shopping, but especially interested in historical sites and landscapes.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • EuroMeet-MKD-2011's Profile Photo

Re: First question.....daytrips?

by EuroMeet-MKD-2011 Online Now Jan 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM

J, we spent week in New Haven CT, last April because of the vulcano. I can just tell you that , New Haven has so much to see & do, that week was just about right for the town.
    There are numerous museums, Peabody Museum of natural History, Yele Center for British Art, New Haven museum & historical society, just to mention few.
    http://www.peabody.yale.edu/
    http://www.newhavenmuseum.org/
    http://ycba.yale.edu/index.asp
    Also walking around the Yele Uni compound is like being in Cambridge or Oxford...
    Right on the Green, on the south east corner is Tourist info office, where you can get lots of info of what to do for free in the town.
    http://www.infonewhaven.com/
    visitnewhaven.com/base/index...
    There is free Yele uni bus (blue)which you can use if you do not want to do lots of walking,goes around the town. make sure you have good walking shoes & lots of batteries. we hit pretty nice time of the year and the colours of New England were marvellous.
    Also nice day out is Chester Port,Milford and Stamford....
    visitconnecticut.com/mystic_...
    Stamford,Milford and New Haven are on the train line to NYC Grand central station. Takes about 1 hrs and 20 min and cost12 one way.
    To my shame I haven't build my New Haven pages yet...
    Also there is an VT member living in new haven, & you might get in touch with him for more info and maybe cup of coffe.
    His name is Jimmy and here is his pages..
    "Travel is my passion" - WanderingNomad's Profile

Have fun, you lucky girl.
    Valentina

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Jan 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM

How about New York City?
    Also the Hudson Valley in New York for history and scenery.
    Mystic, CT?
    There are a ton of potential places within 2 hours drive or train ride.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 14, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Thanks to both.

Valentina, my son is living there. Hence this first (hopefully) visit! :-)

I shall probably begin with a few days in NY then maybe extend with a few days in Boston, and maybe more. All in the very early planning stage as yet.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

by SLLiew Online Now Jan 14, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Oh... don't forget to try the many famous pizza houses in New Haven. You can drive to the top of Sleeping Giant to have a nice view but it is best during the fall. Hartford with a few historical homes is an hour away. When I was in New Haven, we used to either head to NYC or Boston but really the country side and coastal towns are places to get out of New Haven. I hope crime rate has been reduced drastically in New Haven. Long ago, I saw after the fact, a robbery case in downtown New Haven, when the driver in a car was stabbed as the robber open his car door at a traffic light stop - so we always locked our car doors when driving in New Haven. Anyway, since you are visiting someone, find out the places to be careful in New Haven, day and night.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 14, 2011 at 1:57 PM

Thank you. I shall be exceptionally careful. I am, I must admit, more concerned about safety with this visit to the US than anywhere I've been so far. People with bad intentions do not have such easy access to guns in Europe. :-(

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Jan 14, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Jane, New Haven and all of Connecticut isn't far (I consider it a short drive really) into the rest of New England states e.g. New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Mass. all of which are gorgeously scenic and full of much interests.

You should consider visiting the fabulous Cape Cod which is the tip of Massachusetts' coast. Provincetown especially is an artists' haven (Norman Mailer lived here til his death) and the little seaside towns along the coast such as Wellfleet, Truro just to name a few are fantastic. In Provincetown aside from a great line-up of galleries, you'd have fun here going on a whale watching excursions or simply rent a bike and ride into its fantastic beaches secluded among interminable dunes and historic light houses. Cape Cod and Provincetown especially has a large Portuguese population who have settled here during the good old whaling days, thus to this day you'd find lots of restaurants and bakeries serving up Portuguese fare.

The provincial university town of Providence in Rhode Island is a wonderful little city with lots of museums, well-preserved pre-war homes, superb restaurants/cafes and jazz venues and the seat of the ivy-league Brown University, plus the first-rate Rhode Island School of Design is ensconced here. This place would be a good stop on your way to Cape Cod.

If you love mountain hiking, New Hampshire is great as well as the rest of New England.

If you ever hanker for a side trip to NYC, just you let us know if you'd want a little Meet in your honor. If not, know that you have VT friends right here if you ever need us for questions.

Enjoy your trip.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 14, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Thank you Gabriel. :-) I'll be flying into and most probably out of NY and have every intention of spending at least a few nights there. So I'll let you know when the exact dates are sorted out. It'll be mid-late July to early-mid August.

It sounds very tempting just to get the car, get my confidence driving on the wrong side and then pootle off to explore the landscape. And I think that may well be just what I'll do, this time round: top and tail with NY, a side-trip to Boston and then just exploring ...

It's all very exciting!

by SOLODANCER Online Now Jan 14, 2011 at 2:58 PM

You will have loads of fun I can assure you and renting a car is actually not a bad idea especially driving thru New England states and particularly taking the coastal highway. This way you'll have the freedom and ease to stop at the many interesting tiny towns, scenic spots and uncommonly visited tiny antique shops which literally litter alongs these paths.

You'd just be fine re-calibrating yourself to the righthand side way of the American highways, so many Brits do vacation this way and do just fine in all ways. I might add too, that Cape Cod is Gordon Brown's your former PM's favorite vacation spot.

And let me reassure you, since some have already started playing up on the crime/fear factor here that these things do tend to get overemphasized and blown out of proportion. I'm pretty sure your son would be able to fill you in on most of these also rather accurately. You'll see for yourself when you get here, and there'll be plenty of time then to completely relax.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 15, 2011 at 12:02 AM

I'm sure the driving will be fine. I didn't fancy driving on the opposite side and navigating straight after a long flight, but hiring out of New Haven will be ideal.

Thank you for the reassurance about crime. I know perfectly well, intellectually, that my fears are exactly the same as those expressed by many US visitors about European cities: illogical and based on our instinctive fear of the unknown.

Son had mentioned Cape Cod too, but as I'm going in high season (dates dictated by logistics) I wonder whether it will be too crowded and expensive?

Plans are firming up nicely now. :-)

• SLLiew's Profile Photo

by SLLiew Online Now Jan 15, 2011 at 5:06 AM

Just another transport option. I used to take the airport limousine directly from JFK airport to downtown New Haven - very comfortable and reasonable cost - it highway I-95 all the way - nothing much to view.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 15, 2011 at 5:26 AM

Thanks..but I'll def be doing that bit by train (and the New Haven to Boston segment). I like trains. :-)

by SOLODANCER Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Weekends (from Friday to Saturday particulary) in Summer Jane are mostly crowded but good to remember that this is mostly true only of Provincetown. Thus, if the weekend should be the only time when you can visit there, I'd suggests finding a little cottage or room in nearby Truro or Welfleet. Otherwise, the town is normally uncrowded during weekdays and especially off season (Sept. - April).

As for cost, Cape Cod is no more overly expensive than say Boston or NYC...and with the U.S. dollar embarrassingly so devalued these days, your pound and/or Euro would mean certainly a run-for-your money bargain visit. And with plentiful of home style little family-run restaurants in Provincetown, you'd have ample choices to help cut down on expense.

Same would be true in Boston and NYC.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Thank you Gabriel.

It would be so odd to visit Truro! I'm sorely tempted to make daytrips to Coventry, Warwick and the many other such places dotted about that part of the US..they're all near me, you see (Truro isn't).

Useful to know about the weekday thing. I'm still sorting dates and finances, but mid-week explorations seem very feasible.

by SOLODANCER Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Warwick is such a lovely town Jane.

Antoher gorgeous one right by the ocean is the quaint little village of Stonington.

Both an easy quick ride definitely from New Haven

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jan 18, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Thanks! :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines