New Haven Travel Answers

change location

mom and dad need help!

by leigh58 Online Now Jan 20, 2009 at 7:11 AM

we are the parents of a son who has been granted a live audition at the Opera Dept. of Yale!!!! we are so happy, but just 1 thing- we are from central illinois, the armpit of the nation. We know nothing of big city life and such. We 3 will be flying up and staying the weekend in February, wondering if it would be better to take a taxi around all weekend, of just rent a car at the airport? Isthere anything we must, or must NOT do? thank you!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Re: mom and dad need help!

by bocmaxima Online Now Jan 20, 2009 at 7:32 AM

I don't know that I'd call New Haven "big city life." I guess it depends on what you're used to.
    There aren't a ton of cabs in New Haven, even around Yale, so renting a car would be best.
    There are two New Haven culinary landmarks that people will push you toward: the first pizza and the first hamburger. It's up for argument whether or not they are what they say they are. The first pizza place is in the Italian section of town known as Wooster Square. http://www.pepespizzeria.com/.
    The burger place is right by Yale's central campus and is called Loris' Lunch: http://www.louislunch.com/
    There's actually a New Haven style pizza place just across the street from there called BAR. I've eaten there, and it's good, but I can't say that I'm big on their style of pizza.
    The Amistad ship is also in New Haven, there are a few good museums and you've got what's known as West Rock: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_R....
    hth

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JJfromNJ's Profile Photo

by JJfromNJ Online Now Jan 20, 2009 at 12:26 PM

I agree that renting a car will give you the best option, as New Haven will not have "big city" public transportation conveniences. The only thing I would add is to make sure you don't drive your rental into NYC. And by the way, I thought NJ was the "armpit of America?"

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo

by nicolaitan Online Now Jan 20, 2009 at 6:04 PM

isn't pennington known as "little illinois"?

• JJfromNJ's Profile Photo

by JJfromNJ Online Now Jan 26, 2009 at 11:42 AM

No way... we have way better pizza.

Oh no he didn't!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines