New Haven Travel Answers

change location
samtin's Profile Photo

Picking up camping supplies in NEW HAVEN, CT area

by samtin Online Now Jun 7, 2008 at 6:47 AM

Hi
We are driving up from Newark to New England for a camping holiday and we will be stopping off in New Haven on our first evening. We'll want to pick up camping supplies the following morning (headed for Burlingame State Park, RI) and wondered if anyone can tell me if there is a good store in the New Haven area for things like camping gas (for an MSR pocket rocket stove) and similar.

Also, which are the local supermarket chains in CT, RI, MA, etc. Do you have Albertsons, Safeway or others?

Many thanks,
Sam from England

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • pcg821's Profile Photo

Re: Picking up camping supplies in NEW HAVEN, CT area

by pcg821 Online Now Jun 7, 2008 at 8:09 PM

When you leave Newark Airport you could go to Campmor on Route 17 in Paramus NJ, it as every camping supply you would need,and it not far from Newark Airport.You may drive right past it on your way to New Haven depending witch route you take .Check their website I think you will find what you need there.They have the stove you listed so in store they will have the butane fuel.I do not think you will find many camping supply store in New Haven area ,Campmor is kinda the supermarket of camping and backpacking supplies in the area.Do not expect to find much in camping gear in Sports Authority or Modells stores even thought they say they carry camping supplies.

campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Hom...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Picking up camping supplies in NEW HAVEN, CT area

by MusicFan7KU Online Now Jun 23, 2008 at 1:03 PM

There is also a place called Trailblazer in New Haven, but they mostly seem to have clothing.

Trailblazer (203) 865-6244, 994 Chapel St, New Haven, CT

The main supermarket chains in the area are Shaws and Stop 'n' Shop. Both have a pretty good variety of different types of food although I think Shaw's has better meat and produce. There is also a chain called "Big Y" but I've never shopped there. SOME Wal-Mart stores also have groceries but not all.

Where are you staying in New Haven and I can give you directions to the closests supermarket?

Peace,
    Meri

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines