Netherlands Travel Answers

change location
MizukiM's Profile Photo

Kinderdijk

by MizukiM Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM

hi :)

can anyone give me the detailed instrction how to get to Kinderdijk?
id love to see a world heritage, windmills in Kinderdijk.
so if smone can give me the way to go and the transportation to use, plz!!!
oh, ill head there with my friend from amsterdam :)

Quote & Answer
19 Answers
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: Kinderdijk

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM

There are 3 possibilities:

1) Go by direct train to Utrecht Centraal and from there take the Arriva Bus 90 in the direction of Rotterdam. Get off the bus at Molenkade bus stop at Kinderdijk.

2) Go by train to Rotterdam Lombardijen and take bus 90 from there.

3) Go by train to Rotterdam Centraal and take a boat trip from the Erasbrug (by taking the tram); see http://www.waterbus.nl/landing.php

1) and 2) will take just over 2 hours.
    3) is an option if you want to explore Rotterdam too (and the weather is nice).

PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MizukiM's Profile Photo

by MizukiM Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM

fantastic!
    thanks a lot again!!!
    ill try to follow ur instructions by using the internet before i really come there, but if i have smth unclear, can i get back to u again later???

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

by Pijlmans Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM

A very useful site for public transport: http://9292.nl/

Cheers,
    Dennis

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM

You could consider closer alternatives for windmills to Amsterdam - take a train to Koog Zaandijk for the windmills at Zaanse Schaans. Or train to Alkmaae and then bus 127 to the best group of windmills in Holland (in my opinion) at Schermerpolder.

by Pijlmans Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 12:12 AM

@Brittania: Can you maybe tell a bit more about the windmills at the Schermerpolder near Alkmaar? I am Dutch and never visited them and now you got me curious! I guess this is one of them? http://www.museummolen.nl/ And this is a page in Dutch about them if I am correct: nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scherm...

As for Zaansche Schans vs Kinderdijk: Zaansche Schans is easy to get to and very touristic. Besides the windmills there's a clog shop, cheese shop, jewelery shop and a museum etc. Kinderdijk is harder to reach from Amsterdam, spread over a larger area and more scenic.

• Britannia2's Profile Photo

by Britannia2 Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Here is my link from VT - its in my Amsterdam pages. I must admit I had not heard of them but Dutch friends who live close by took me. However these are in my opinion the best windmills in Holland - you get to really explore them and can climb high in to the roof of some of them. The visitor centre is also very good with a cafe and friendly staff who were very intersted in me (as I come from England) - they told me they rarely see non Dutch people.
    Amsterdam Off The Beaten Path Tips by Britannia2

by MizukiM Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 4:13 AM

ummm, i already visited Zaanse Schaans before when i was in holland first time coz weather was not that nice on that day, so i changed the place to go to smwhere closer, meaning Zaanse Schaans.
    but thanks for ur advice :)

by Pijlmans Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 5:49 AM

Mizuki: I think Kinderdijk is a great choice and would prefer them over Zaansche Schans as well if you have the time...

I cannot judge the windmills Brittania mentioned but I have the feeling I'll visit them in the near future :-) Thanks Brittania!

by MizukiM Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM

ill def. make time this time for the amazing view of windmills :)
    as pj recommended, ill probably combine my visit to kinderdijk with rotterdam.
    sounds a very great combination :)

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM

When are you travelling to The Netherlands? I can recommend a great boat ride from Rotterdam to Kinderdijk. It's easy transportation from Amsterdam to Rotterdam, where you get on a boat. You can't get lost!

The boat trip is only in season. If you tell me when you are travelling, I can look up the schedule for you.

by MizukiM Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 11:53 PM

ATLC

it will be big help!
    we r traveling in holland between 26th (we will arrive there on 25th of april, but evening/ night) and 1st of may coz i really wanna experience ur queen's day!!!
    do u think the boat service will be in season?
    hope it will!

thank u for ur recommendation :)

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Hello, sounds like the perfect season. I shall look up the boat schedules. Another thing that you must know is that this year Queen's Day (30th of April) is special and historical. On this day (2013), our Queen will abdicate and a new King (her son) will be inaugurated. It may be even harder to get into Amsterdam if you want to partake in the festivities. Where have you planned your accommodation? Anyway, I'll get back to you with those boat schedules. Cheers!

by MizukiM Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM

thanks for ur help!!! ive already got a round plane ticket and 6 night accommodation around the central station. thanks for ur concern :) & happy to know i will be able to participate in such a historical scene :)))

ill be waiting for ur contact happily :)))

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Hi, see my tip at "Boat tour from Rotterdam to Kinderdijk" - Kinderdijk Transportation Tip by ATLC for some preliminary information. It's an easier boat ride than PJ's advice (see his earlier reply in this thread) because it is a direct boat ride with no changing lines. I've done it myself, it was fun.

• Re: Kinderdijk

by kinderdijk Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 5:24 AM

Dear MizukiM.The answer you got about taking the no90 bus is the easiest option indeed. Apart from that, taking the train to Rotterdam and from there the Waterbus to Kinderdijk the best option. You can buy a special ticket at the Waterbus that includes the entrance fee of the World Heritage. No matter what all other options mentioned said. Kinderdijk is the best place to visit if you want to see the authentic Dutch landscape. 19 windmills, 3 pump stations including a steam, diesel and an electric one, togehter with all the canals and the sluices give you a perfect view on over a 1000 years of Dutch Water Management. A unique place in this world and therefore placed on the World Heritage List of Unesco. Check out www.molenskinderdijk.nl for more information. Kindest regards,Kinderdijk
    MizukiM wrote: hi :) can anyone give me the detailed instrction how to get to Kinderdijk? id love to see a world heritage, windmills in Kinderdijk. so if smone can give me the way to go and the transportation to use, plz!!! oh, ill head there with my friend from amsterdam :) thanks :)

by MizukiM Online Now Apr 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

i was so busy that i couldnt check this site til now.
    im still a beginner of this website, so i tried but couldnt reach the page u were talking about.
    how can i get to ut tip for boat tour to knderdijk???

i arrived in amsterdam today & my friend & i r soooo much excited! :)
    tmrrw, cheese fes in arkmaar!
    cant wait :)

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Apr 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Enjoy this weekend, including our last Queensday on Tuesday.

PJ

1 member found this helpful

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Apr 26, 2013 at 12:58 AM

How to get to the websites? Click the links in the answers. They are blue.
    Enjoy, have fun!

If you are here next Tuesday, then we are having a national party. Amsterdam will be fun and madness because our new king will be inaugurated there. That's what pieter_jan_v was talking about :-)

1 member found this helpful

by MizukiM Online Now Apr 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM

oh my gosh...
    i didnt even notice that it was there as a link to ur page when i tried last time.
    now i got it! :)
    so sorry to bother u, but its gonna be a huge help & fun as well :)
    yeah, i know and thats why i came here even by sneaking out of the uni :b
    i will be enjoying everyth on the queens day & will be proud of it to celebrate the very special day with all the dutch in holland :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Netherlands Travel Answer Locations