Nepal Travel Answers

change location
orthogal's Profile Photo

Which way is best?

by orthogal Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Is it best to go Kathmandu-Pokhara-Kathmandu then head from there for a 3 day trip to Chitwan, or do a round trip Kathmandu -Pokhara- Chitwan- Kathmandu. I was originally planning the first option, hiring a van for the 5 of us (with driver of course) to take us to Pokhara from Kathmandu via Manakamana and then flying back as the views are amazing. I am not keen on the bus one way, tried that before and was incredibly carsick. If we took the second option we would fly to Pokhara and either van to Chitwan (and back to Kathmandu)or I would suck it up and take the bus if it is not as windy as the last trip.We would miss the drive and the cable car if we opted to go this way.What would be the best option do you all think? I am not familiar with the roads from Pokhara to Chitwan.
Thanks Anne

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • into-thin-air's Profile Photo

Re: Which way is best?

by into-thin-air Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 2:17 AM

No Problem
    The road to both Pokhara and Chitwan is the same as far as Muglin where there is a fork, straight on for Chitwan and right for Pokhara. The cable car to Manakamana is on the Kathmandu side of the fork so it doesn’t make any difference for visiting there whether you go to Chitwan or Pokhara first.
    However, I think if it were me then I would drive from Kathmandu to Chitwan stopping of at Manakamana en-route, have a few days at Chitwan and then drive on to Pokhara.
    Both journeys are about 6 hours by private car
    Then fly back from Pokhara.
    My main reasoning is that there are more flights from Pokhara to Kathmandu that there are from Bharatpur, Bharatpur being the closest airport to Chitwan.
    Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels
    Rob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • thapaliya's Profile Photo

by thapaliya Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Hi,
    Great information are already posted by our friend Rob. Again some more tips for you. If i do this tour defiantly i will do Kathmandu - Pokhara - Chitwan - Manakamana - then Kathmandu back. Because of the road drive and time. When you come back kathmandu again you need to drive almost same way to mugling 110km then rest 40km another road to Chitwan. If you drive form Pokhara drive to Mugling then drive to Chitwan is more easy, short and can save more time.

Another things is From Chitwan to Kathmandu road shorter then pokhara kathmandu. That day you can visit Manakamana Temple by Cabel Car enough time to spend around there (Every Day They open from 9AM to 5Pm in Mid day 1 hour Closed for Lunch) and Evening back to Kathmandu.

Better to use private transport when you are 5 friends. You most use road between Pokhara to Chitwan there are no connect any flight. Yes, that you know already if you fly form chitwan to ktm then u have to miss manakamana.

Tell your driver drive slow and more carefully. The road quite busy and loudly after Mugling to Narayanghat but, they driving very well.

Hope it helps a bit for you.

• Intothewild113's Profile Photo

by Intothewild113 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Drive to chitwan via manakamana & then drive to pokhara,take a flight back from pokhara to kathmandu thats gonna be a good trip covering all you want.Have a good time Suman

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Nepal Travel Answer Locations