Nepal Travel Answers

change location
singhsomen's Profile Photo

Need Help for flights from Kathmandu to Pokhara and also for trip planning

by singhsomen Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Hi Guys,

We are 4 adults and one infant. We have planned a 6 days and 5 nights trip to Kathmandu and Pokhara. I need help to find the "GOOD" return flight from Kathmandu to Pokhara. I already have quote from Buddha air line but i have been told that lot of time their flights are delayed by 3-4 hrs. Could you please suggest a good air line who generally is time bounded. For some reason i am not getting any quotes from Sitaair, Yeti, Tara, gorkha, Nepal airlines.

On the another note i would like to welcome all the inputs regarding hotels in Kathmandu and Pokhara and things to do (Obviously huge emphasis for this trip is on looking at snow capped mountains so any tips to get the best view would be highly appreciated). Here is my plan so far:

5th April : Kathmandu : may be some nearby sites to hotel
6th April : Kathmandu: Pashupati Nath Temple, bhaktapur, Swayambhunath stupa
7th Apil : Kathmandu to Pokhara
8th April : Sarangkot. Phewa lake
9th April: Pokhara to Kathmandu and stay at Nagarkot
10th April: Nagarkot to Airport...
Thank you so much for your time.

Best,
Somendra

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • stamporama's Profile Photo

Re: Need Help for flights from Kathmandu to Pokhara and also for trip planning

by stamporama Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 1:37 AM

There's another airline you missed out, Agni(http://www.agniair.com.np/new15/). I've only flown on Yeti so I can't comment on how it compares with others as far as punctuality. In any case, your itinerary looks OK and doable. Suck up all the sights in KTM on your first 2 days as you won't get to see any snow-capped mountains from the city. That would be possible from Pokhara and Nagarkot. If you really want to get up close, you could take a Buddha Air flight to Everest while in KTM or to the Annapurna range when in Pokhara (ask for the Avia Club from your hotel).

Your plan to be in Nagarkot a day before your flight home is wise as your concern about possible flight delays is valid.

As to hotels, I suggest the Sacred Valley Inn (see my tip on this) where I stayed in Pokhara as it's highly recommended even by TripAdvisor and Lonely Planet guidebooks.

http://www.sacredvalleyinn.com/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • into-thin-air's Profile Photo

by into-thin-air Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 1:43 AM

First of all, Agni Air, the airline mentioned by the above poster has been grounded for several months, so is no longer flying, there are some stories going around that it is being taken over by Asian Airlines, but as yet this is far from confirmed, so best avoided, at least for now.
    Nearly all the domestic airports in Nepal operate on line of sight landings and take off’s so delays and cancellations are common, especially if the weather close in – So it’s more luck with this than which particular airline you happen to choose

Have you considered hiring a private car out and driving one way – OK, this will eat into your available time a little, but, especially for your return journey will be a more reliable option and you could go straight from Pokhara to Nagarkot – Overall, it would only take you another 2 or 3 hours when you take into account the time spent at the airports and you would also get to see a lot more of Nepal.

Hotels - I haven’t a recommendation for Kathmandu; the hotel that I have stayed at for my last 2 trips has had some bad press recently so I won’t recommend them
    However for Pokhara
    The Hotel Lake Diamond, Small family run hotels just a few hundred meters away fro the centre of Lakeside – But down a side street so in a beautiful and Quiet location - I have used this hotel for several years and always get a great welcome – I have posted a few pics on my hotel tips as well as contact details

Things to do / see
    In and around Kathmandu
    1) Buddha Air Mountain Flight
    2) Bodnath
    3) Visit Kopan Monastery
    4) Pashupatinath
    5) Swayambhunath
    6) Full day in Bhaktapur
    7) Durbar Square Kathmandu and Patan
    8) Day trip to Nagarkot and overnight – With luck spectacular sunrise

On Between Kathmandu and Pokhara
    Take the cable-car to Manakamana Temple

In Pokhara
    1) Paragliding
    2) Micro-Light flight
    3) Devi Falls and Gupteshwor Mahadev cave
    4) Walk to the Peace Pagoda and then return to lakeside by boat over Fewa Tal
    5) Visit The Tibetan Refugee camp
    6) Sunrise at Sarangkot

Again, more details on the above I my Nepal Things to do pages

Good Luck and Happy Travels
    Rob

1 member found this helpful

• singhsomen's Profile Photo

by singhsomen Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Thank you so much stamporama for wonderful suggestions specially for Avia club. I am sure going to take this flight at Pokhara :)

Thank you so much Rob ( aka "into-thin-air"). Mountain flight at Kathmandu: i m trying to get a quote from buddha. So which air line i should choose for Kathmandu to Pokhara; any recommendation. shall i just go ahead and book it with Buddha as nobody else is responding anyways.

Well its not that i do not like to travel by road..but i have an infant and old parents and i have been told roads are not good. i mean i can still think about it since you rightly mentioned that i need to go to Nagarkot.

Thanks again for all your recommendations for things to do :)

Best,
    Somendra

• Intothewild113's Profile Photo

by Intothewild113 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Buddha air has been the best airline company in nepal for the domestic flights.It have the good maintiance & pilots If you book direct through the airliness than you will not be getting any discount you will have to pay full fare for your flights,i guess you know the price,what was there prices??? So i would not recomend you to book direct with Buddhar air,if you want the ,timing and prices of flights,i could help you,just let me know . Suman

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines