Nepal Travel Answers

change location
MrBausch's Profile Photo

Nepal Trek Advice

by MrBausch Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Hello fellow travelers,

Let me start out by thanking everyone for the incredible information that you have already posted on this forum and your personal pages. You've been a great help as my wife and I plan for our trek to EBC this May. However, I still have a few questions that I could use some recommendations on.

1. Kongma La: We are planning to trek up to EBC and then cross Cho La to Gokyo. Is it advisable to cross Kongma La or this too big of an altitude gain on the way up?

2. Renjo La: We are somewhat pressed for time and so I'm considering not crossing Renjo La. Can anyone provide some insights into Renjo La, the views and the Thame area? Is it worth the extra time?

3. We have contacted numerous local companies and travel agents. We are looking specifically for a responsible company that has guides that have a passion for their country and their culture (we were spoiled on this front by our amazing guides on the Inca Trail!). If anyone has experience with a company that fits this mold we would love to hear about them.

thanks for all your assistance!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • into-thin-air's Profile Photo

Re: Nepal Trek Advice

by into-thin-air Online Now Jan 29, 2013 at 3:41 AM

No Problem

If it were me, then I wouldn’t have a fixed plan for your trek and decide which, if any of the passes that you decide to cross when you are up there and can assess weather conditions as well as how you are all feeling.
    I haven’t crossed Kongma La, but talking to people that have, it is quite an undertaking, so If getting to EBC us your primary goal then maybe give that a miss, Then after EBC you will head down to Dzonglha and you can decide on the morning of your Cho La crossing weather to cross the pass or to go around by Phortse Tenga.
    Finally, when you reach Gokyo, again, depending on your remaining time, your remaining stamina and of course the weather will al have a bearing on whether you cross Renjo La

For my own recommendation of a trekking agency, HMA in Thamel, Nirmal the owner is a Great Guy and hires his Staff out at very fair prices from a pool of trusted and well vetted people, I have used his services for 9 trips to Nepal over the last 19 years and can give Nirmal the very best of recommendations
    His contact details are on the travelogue entitled A Very Important Decision on my Nepal pages

You might also like to read my trek report from my own EBC Trek from last Spring useful too, I have included some reasonably detailed trek notes, a daily video diary, links to downloadable trekking maps, a few hints on transportation as well as reviewed the accommodation where we stayed

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • MrBausch's Profile Photo

by MrBausch Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Thanks for the info Rob! It's always good to here from someone who has actually been there and experienced it. HMA was one of the first companies we put on our list. We've just been trying to narrow down the list by emailing companies and getting recommendations from other travelers.

by into-thin-air Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Pleased to be of help

One other small piece of “Advice” is not to tie yourself into something before you arrive in Nepal by paying a hefty deposit – I always advocate meeting your trekking staff face to face and making sure that they are 100% suitable before parting with hard earned cash !! Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking Rob

• MrBausch's Profile Photo

by MrBausch Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Rob,

Thanks for all your advice. Do you recommend a guided tour of some of the Kathmandu Valley sights or do it on your own? We usually aren't big guided tour sights but we won't have a great deal of time in Kathmandu and we do like to learn as much as we can about the history a culture of a place when we visit it.

by into-thin-air Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Whether you take a guided tour of Kathmandu and the Valley, or do a DIY one will really depend on how much time you have available – DIY can be more fun as you can stay at a site for as long (Or as short) as you want to, but of you are short on time then you can fit a lot more in with a private car with a good guide – Nirmal could sort out the latter option if you choose to go this way.
    Good Luck
    Rob

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Nepal Travel Answer Locations