Nepal Travel Answers

change location
lee.chiappori's Profile Photo

water purification

by lee.chiappori Online Now Aug 21, 2011 at 9:22 AM

hello
what would be your preferred water purification whilst trekking.iodine or chlorine
i've used iodine in the past but have noticed a lot of stores are selling chlorine
these days.what are the benefits and drawbacks of both.
many thanks
lee

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • travelinxs's Profile Photo

Re: water purification

by travelinxs Online Now Aug 21, 2011 at 10:49 AM

In Europe iodine has been taken off the market due to 'abuse'. ie people werent reading the instructions. Anyway, chlorine is fine trekking in Nepal if you choose your water with reasonable care. Tap water and clear mountain water is fine. A purifier is not neccessary for a short visit, perhaps under 2 months. In spite what others might suggest! If you can get hold of iodine then its worth carrying a small sample for emergencies though youre unlikely to need it.

Have a great trip my friend.
    Chris.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Turtleshell's Profile Photo

by Turtleshell Online Now Aug 21, 2011 at 11:06 AM

> In Europe iodine has been taken off the market due to 'abuse'.

Not quite; I can still buy it, no problems.
    On my travels (I have never been to Nepal) I pick iodine over chlorine even though the latter one is more effective. Carrying a box with you won't hurt, you can't see germs you know.

by travelinxs Online Now Aug 21, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Please see one of the many references to iodine being withdrawn from sale in Europe....

backpackbasecamp.com/basecam...

Chlorine, not iodine, is the safest meathod of water purification. Iodine has greater risk to personal health over a prolonged period of time. It is unlikely, if impossible, to overdose on chlorine as the body rids excess without harm. But chlorine is not as efficient to extreme contamination, hence iodine was always a good emergency back-up.

To the other respondant; This is an important topic that can mislead and possibly cause injury or worse. Please be sure what you are talking about before posting. With best regards, your friend,

Chris.

by travelinxs Online Now Aug 21, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Just for added reassurence, here is probably the most reliable website on travel health I know and have been using for a long time: re. iodine availability in Europe:

traveldoctor.co.uk/sundries....

It might be worth bookmarking this site for future reference. I use it to cross-check advise by doctors on aspects such as malaria, which local GPs are not always up to date with. Cheers.

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo

by Turtleshell Online Now Aug 22, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Sorry, my fault ...

I confused iodine with ionic (silver) solutions or filter, probably because I never ran across iodine for water purification, not even in the 80s when it wasn't banned.

It could very well be that chlorine is more efficient than ionic silver (more effective than iodine: yes, clearly), but I have always chosen silver over chlorine. Ionic silver is still available, be it as solution or filter.

Sorry for the confusion.

• HimalayanSherpa's Profile Photo

by HimalayanSherpa Online Now Aug 22, 2011 at 3:46 AM

To purify water better to use the SteriPen.
    visit www.steripen.com for more info.

• maddy_dave's Profile Photo

by maddy_dave Online Now Aug 22, 2011 at 8:44 AM

The famous brand of chlorine in Nepal is 'Piyush'..I have used it several times and I can recommend it to you too..

by travelinxs Online Now Aug 22, 2011 at 11:59 PM

No worries bud. Re Steripen, the only causion I would suggest is that on research I found quite a few complaints about them failing in the field. I ended up with the MSR Miox which uses salt and electricity, recommended to me by a travelling doctor which seems to work well though expensive for a short trip and I dont think worth the money unless you are going to be away at least 6 months.
    Cheers.

• into-thin-air's Profile Photo

by into-thin-air Online Now Aug 28, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Over the years I have used various methods of water purifying, so personally I would say a lot depends on which trek you are doing, how many times you go trekking and what sort of money you want to spend.

My fall-back is always Lugol’s solution on Iodine – This can be purchased in Nepal for a few rupees, it works vary well and the only drawbacks are it can be messy (Take your own dropper bottle as the ones supplied Always leak) and it tastes bad – but by adding tang or the like it is drinkable – This is now available in tablet form but as yet I haven’t personally tried these so can’t comment.
    I then buy Boiled water in lodges, especially last thing at night, I put this (After it has come of the boil) into a Sigg type water bottle, pop that inside my sock and then it is a hot-water bottle for the night and cold drinking water in the morning.
    On AC, there are safe drinking-water stations – I always use these where available because the water tastes good, it is inexpensive and it provides an income for locals.

There have been mixed reports on steri-pens on various travel forums so I haven’t convinced myself to buy one yet !!??
    Nor have I decided to splash out on one on the many water filters also currently available – But maybe one day ;-)

I Hope the above helps a little
    Best Regards
    Rob

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Nepal Travel Answer Locations