Nepal Travel Answers

change location
timanonymous's Profile Photo

How much money do I need to live in Nepal for a month?

by timanonymous Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Basically I need to stay somewhere outside the US for 3 months and not spend too much money. I have heard that Nepal is exceedingly inexpensive. I have heard that westerner backpacker types can survive comfortably on as little as 800 dollars a month.

I am about to make a real decision to go there so I just wanted to get some input before I put my money down on the decision.

I am not interested in sightseeing or doing any tourist activities during those 3 months. I just need somewhere to *wait* before I can go back to the US. I would explain why that is but I don't want to write a really long story.

I have looked on the internet for apartments in Nepal but have found a huge discrepancy between the prices people are claiming and what I am seeing online. However, the same was true with Thailand but when I actually went to Thailand I found that the prices people quoted were pretty accurate. The problem was that usually the cheapest apartments are the ones not listed online. I am wondering if this will be the case with Nepal as well...

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 3:03 AM

If you need to be outside the USA, why travel so far when the airfare is so expensive? Go south to mexico and stay in a resort town for under 1000 usd a month and live large, try oxcatta or inland Mexico City.....even further south Costa Rica is much cheaper than flying to Napal.

cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: How much money do I need to live in Nepal for a month?

by davidjo Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 4:35 AM

You can certainly survive in Nepel for less than $800 a month. Many guesthouses have such cheap rates of less than $10

• thapaliya's Profile Photo

by thapaliya Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Hello,
    As our friend Davidjo explain already. Around kathmandu there are many simple guest houses who offering their special price for long term stay. I think you can survive less then 800US$ per month when you are not doing anything activities. Some of guest house they provide you Common Kitchen as well where you can cook own food yourself.
    I suggest to you much better find some nepalese house some time you can adjust with nepalese family. Learsn some nepalese culture, lifestyle and more. That will be good idea.
    Bashu

• ghalegaun's Profile Photo

by ghalegaun Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Hello

I sure 800 US$ will be enough to live month in kathmandu without doing any activities and if you interest around the town will fine the Home stay basis guest house where you will get chance to learn the Nepalese life style.

enjoy your time

• into-thin-air's Profile Photo

by into-thin-air Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I am in Nepal now and my own budget is $30 per day – and on this I live very well, stay in nice hotels, eat well, visit tourist attractions, travel around in good tourist busses and have just returned from trekking’
    So – With $800 per month I would say that you can not only survive, but live well, not only “Wait” but do many interesting things so as to make your time enjoyable as well as memorable,
    Things like packages to Chitwan National Park start from as little as $30 per day, only slightly above your budget, but with a few quiet days at either end, you would soon be back on track
    Trekking – This can also easily be done well within your budget.
    So – Don’t hesitate – Choose Nepal and I am sure you will have No Regrets
    Good Luck
    Rob

1 member found this helpful

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Nepal Travel Answer Locations