Nepal Travel Answers

change location

Poon hill Trek

by bjohns Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM

We intend to do the Poonhill trek in September. pokhara for poon hill treak.
We want to do something like this.Drive to nayapool from pokhara(44 KMs) to start trekking to Annapurna (Poon hill Trek). Trek to Tikhedhunga (altitude 1540m)1st night

trek to Ghorepani (2860m). Overnightr at Ghorepani.2nd night

Early morning wake walk to poonhill,to discover the view of all the mountains of Annapurna range,Dhaulagri, Fishtail mountain and sunrise. Trek back to Ghorepani. After breakfast trek to Tadapani. Overnight in Tadapani.3rd night

Trek to Ghandruk ,beautifull gurung village (3000m) Overnight in Ghandruk.4th night

Trek back from Ghandruk to Nayapul. Drive to Pokhara from nayapul.5th night.
There are 4 of us. Is it better to book before we go? or better to book when we arrive in Kathmandu ( will be there for 3 days before heading to Pokhara) What would this cost if we book when arriving in Nepal and who is a good company to deal with. We are looking at a 14 tour booked before we leave for $1100 per person. This includes above trip and 2 night in Chitwan and 2 pokhara and 3 nights in Kathmandu. Does that seem resonable.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • mikkie50's Profile Photo

Re: Poon hill Trek

by mikkie50 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM

not to sure about trekking friend but pokhara is awesome place:-)) try the white wayer rafting and not to miss the paragliding :-)) have a good trip we were there in september:-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by mikkie50 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 5:49 PM

saphana village lodge in chitwan is brilliant not to exspensive right down on the river

by mikkie50 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM

also one place NOT to miss is Baktaphur

• Poling's Profile Photo

by Poling Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM

i would concentrate on your question of price. no sure what are included in the package of per person usd1100. normally to hire a guide plus porter(s), it is not very expensive for the 4-day poon hill trek. rooms & food are cheap as well. if you are in package, you can order as many foof as you like, price covered. if you just hire guide, you pay what you order.
    as for chitwan, the package for 3d2n was around usd80 two years ago. if you buy chitwan package with others you can always bargain a better price.
    there are lots of guides you can contact in advance to check their availability, they give you price fir package or just guide + porter.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

by davidjo Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 3:27 AM

If i understand you correctly you are paying $1100 for the 4 and a half day trek. I believe that you can do this on your own and a guide is not necessary, but on the other hand $275 each is not that bad. It is wonderful to relax in the hot spring at Tadapani and the view from Poon Hill is wonderful provided there are not too many tourists at the top of the hill. Some years ago i happened to be in Ghandruk and caught a local festival and the locals were extremely hospitable. Enjoy yourself!

• into-thin-air's Profile Photo

by into-thin-air Online Now Mar 16, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Lots of good info already provided and only a few snippets to add

First of all, Definitely No need to book anything in advance – if you wait until you arrive in Nepal and organise things when you arrive you can cut your price in half – And let an agent sort it all out, so it literally only takes ½ hour to organise – If you wanted to make further savings and trek independently without staff as previously mentioned, this is also ok – But as hiring out trekking staff is inexpensive and will certainly add to your overall enjoyment of your trek then, personally I would !

Costs – A packaged trek as you mention is currently $65 per day and includes transport be tourist bus from KTM to Pokhara, all permits, food and accommodation on trek and trekking staff, their food and accommodation, transport and insurance
    Chitwan is an excellent place to wind down and see a few animals post trek - Usually a package that includes transportation from either Kathmandu or Pokhara by Tourist Bus and Includes accommodation with Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner as well as All your activities (National Park Entrance fee, Elephant Ride, Dug Out Canoe Trip, Jungle Walk, .Cultural Show, Bird watching / Village Walk etc) start at around $30 per person per day in a Budget Resort. You will easily arrange a package once you arrive in Nepal and again there is no need to book anything in advance as you will always get a better deal with an agent when dealing face to face
    My Own favorite for Sauraha is Tiger Residency http://www.tigerresidency.com/

This is a little more expensive but the accommodation and the food are well above average and the guide, Laxman is simply superb, he can recognise all the birds by sight, silhouette and bird call and knows their names in English, Latin and Nepali –
    I have steered quite a few people to Tiger Residency over the years and have had a lot of Good feedback !!

In addition to the above, you can have the same agent arrange an airport pick-up and transport you by private car to a good quality hotel like The Kathmandu Prince – Cost of this service is $25 per night based on two people sharing a twin / double room
    To organize all the above, I recommend, HMA in Thamel, Nirmal the owner is a Great Guy and hires his Staff out at very fair prices from a pool of trusted and well vetted people, I have used his services for 9 trips to Nepal over the last 19 years and can give Nirmal the very best of recommendations
    His contact details are on the travelogue entitled A Very Important Decision on this link
    "My Love Affair with Nepal" - Nepal by into-thin-air

I am actually in Pokhara Nepal as I type this so all the info is current and prices correct
    Good Luck
    Rob

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Nepal Travel Answer Locations