Nepal Travel Answers

change location

Micro sim

by Twintrek Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I am doing EBC trek, flying to Kathmandu in 11 days! I am a bit of a technophobe and have just bought a nexus 7 tablet with 3G so I can regularly skype my children back home and keep a blog updated for them to follow me. I have 2 questions (1) can I get a micro sim for my iphone and where is the best place? I am with a party and we arrive 4pm in Ktm then get the plane to Lukla early the next morning. So I don't have much time to explore options on arrival (2) is there good 3G coverage for my tablet and how do I go about getting a micro data card for it? I understand there is NCell and one other? Is one provider better than another? Sorry for all questions, I'm just anxious to be able to keep in regular contact with family
Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • into-thin-air's Profile Photo

Re: Micro sim

by into-thin-air Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I am in Nepal as I write this reply – So I have been able to make some enquiries for you as last year micro SIM’s weren’t available in Nepal – Last year I had an trek mate with a smart phone that took a micro SIM and as she was unable to obtain on she had to by a cheap Indian made phone to keep in touch. – The good news is that this worked fairly well for most of the way to EBC – So this would be one option of keeping in contact
    The next option is that you can “Convert” as standard sized SIM card into a micro SIM by using a machine that cuts out the centre section of the normal SIM – this sounds a bit dubious to me, but I am assured that it works – Maybe as you are a techie you will have a better understanding

So – If it were me, I would take a normal old fashioned phone that takes the larger SIM it be sure that you can keep in touch with friends and family but also try the cut down SIM and maybe come back and update this thread to let everyone know how / if it works OK

Best Regards
    Rob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Nepal Travel Answer Locations