Nepal Travel Answers

change location
orthogal's Profile Photo

Tipping

by orthogal Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 3:53 AM

Well we are all set to head to Nepal soon but it has been quite a while since I was there and I have forgotten how much we should tip for services ie restaurants, guides, porters, people helping with bags, taxis etc). What is the general rule for tipping now days? I want to be fair and not stingy but not over the top either as I would like to share it around!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Tipping

by davidjo Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 5:02 AM

We have endless discussions regarding tipping on the forum. I personally tip whatever i feel like tipping and follow no standard rules. If i am pleased with the service i leave a small tip. If i am delighted with the service and the person has really gone out of his way to serve me or treat me well i tip more. If the service is no good or the food at the restaurant is not up to my liking or the portion is small i do not leave a tip

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • into-thin-air's Profile Photo

Re: Tipping

by into-thin-air Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 1:28 AM

More or less agree with the above poster
    These days most restaurants (Except for the very small ones) have a 10% additional compulsory service charge added to the price on your bill (Sometimes also an additional 13% tax on top of this) so you have to be a bit careful when reading the menu as sometimes the bill can be around 25% more than the menu prices.
    However, personally I don’t think that the 10% is passed onto the waiters, so if you are happy with the food and service I still leave them a little extra
    Tipping for guides and porters is very important and often makes up a large portion of the money the actually end up with after a trek a food is getting very expensive for Nepali’s in the mountains – 1 additional days pay per week of trek is the usual amount – but if you can afford a bit more then they really deserve as much as you can comfortably give them
    As for the rest – Just remember than a few rupees goes a long way in Nepal, so even if you leave a small tip then it will usually be much appreciated

Good Luck and Happy Travels
    Rob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Nepal Travel Answer Locations