Nepal Travel Answers

change location

Island Peak or Lobuche Peak?

by mp_hike Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I am planning EBC this April/May and either do Island Peak or Lobuche. Which one is safer and easier?

I have no rock climbing or rope experience. Have done summits of Mt Kenya and Kilimanjaro Appreciate your response

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Island Peak or Lobuche Peak?

by davidjo Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I just want to inform you that you need permits to climb many of the peaks in Nepal, but i could not tell you the price or which one is safer. I have seen them both and would not like to hazard a guess.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • into-thin-air's Profile Photo

Re: Island Peak or Lobuche Peak?

by into-thin-air Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Difficult question.

There are 2 ways of going about climbing Trekking Peaks in Nepal

1) Join an organised group – This is by Far the easiest, but at the same time Far the most expensive way to achieve your goal.
    2) DIY – The cheapest option being to trek to EBC independently, either going without any trekking staff, or taking the minimum and then meeting your climbing crew at a given point on a given date to climb your chosen trekking peak.

I haven’t climbed either of the peaks you mention but Island Peak is the easier / more popular option of the two with peak fees at $300 for a 1-4 person permit or $450 group permit.

I don’t know the current peak fee for Lobuche Peak but of you were to choose this option you should be aware that there are two summits to Lobuche peak: Lobuche east, and Lobuche west
    The trekking peak permit is for the east peak, whilst Lobuche west at the head of the Lobuche glacier, requires and expedition permit.

Good Luck
    Rob

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Island Peak or Lobuche Peak?

by mp_hike Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Hi Rob

It is two of climbing. The itinerary an is fully organized by an operator in Nepal, "environmental trekking". They are providing food camping lodging etc.
    It looks like we will take the Island peak option.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines