Nemea Travel Answers

change location

esmat

by esmat Online Now Apr 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I am planning to visit Nemea shortly , just seek assistence to know about how to reach there from different locations eg. Athens airport , Lotraki, Argos since there is no hotel available in Nemea for selection .
Is there any public tranpot , buses ? I used a bus to reach there but that was in the past and since a long time ,at that time the buses station was too closed to Omonia square , is it still located there ?
thanks
Esmat

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: esmat

by Phillyjan Online Now Apr 4, 2012 at 2:34 PM

(1) getting to the Bus Station. The Kifissou Ave KTEL Station can be reached from Athens Airport on the X 93 Bus, leaving in front of the Airport Building Between doors 4-5, every 35 minutes. Fare: €5. Buy ticket at a desk near the door ... VALIDATE ticket inside bus, by punching it in a pole-mounted box. This is the easiest way. If you are starting from an Athens hotel, there is a local bus going from somewhere around Omonia (ick) but it doesn't go directly to the Kissifou station, just stops a few blocks away in a really iffy neighborhood. Also, Athens local bus drivers speak only Greek, and nobody helps you find where to get off. Therefore, if going to the bus from a Plaka-area hotel, I recommend a taxi, it will cost about €10.

(2) Bus Schedules -- From Athens OR Loutraki OR Argos, you have to go to Korinth first and connect to a local KTEL bus. Here is the timetable for busses to/from Athens to Korinth athensguide.com/practicalinf... I have used this online reference for 10 years, it is reliable. You want to go to the Korinthos Window to buy a ticket. THe Korinth busses go hourly, the trip takes 70 minutes, a ticket is €8. Tell the ticket window you have to go to the Korinthos station where you can change to a LOCAL KTEL Bus to Nemea.... there are 2 stations, one out on the big E65 Highway, and one in Town. They will know which one has the local bus connection.

(3) At the Korinthos bus station you get a local KTEL bus to Nemea. YOu probably will have to wait till you get to Korinth to find out the schedule for a bus to Nemea & back. This website lists the prefecture KTEL stations and the towns served livingingreece.gr/2008/06/13... ... it shows on the Korinthos list, the town of NEMEA. So we know that busses go here ... it's just hard to find out exactly when. The English link on the Korinthos KTEL site does not work. Sigh. You also will have to choose between the TOWN of Nemea and the ANCIENT GAMES SITE of Nemea, they are about 5 Km apart (see this Map) esperides.gr/images/peloponi...

(4) Accommodation ... it is not clear what you are going to Nemea for -- and it sounds as if you believe you will need to stay overnight. If you are simply planning to see the ancient site, friends of mine say that you can see the site unhurriedly in 60- 90 minutes... it's not like Olympia with a Major Museum. The other main attraction of the area is a tour of the local vineyards (GREAT wine in the area!), but this would require a car, or lengthy taxi-hire. So, I think Nemea ruins could be a day trip from Athens.

(4)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines