Negril Travel Answers

change location
anitpotter's Profile Photo

beach running in negril

by anitpotter Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 12:20 AM

hi
i have a friend coming to negril, this will be here 4th visit.

she is training for paris marathon and wants to run 15 miles on new years day.

she is looking for someone to run with at around 10min/mile. if anyone visiting there loves running or knows any local runners please let me know.

many thanks
tina

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: beach running in negril

by Odinnthor Online Now Dec 28, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Well gyals, welcome to mi Jamaica mon.....d:o)

She should be allright running on Seven Mile Beach in Negril, as it would be almost what she needs to complete 15 miles. Here is some more stuff on Negril.....

Well Negril is likely the nicest of the three main tourist areas on the north and west sides of Jamaica, the others being Mo Bay (Montego Bay) and Ocho Rios. Clearly you are leaning towards AIs (all inclusive resorts). Not my particular cup of tea, but to each his own. Further, most of them are not cheap, even the less exclusive.

The RIU on Bloody Beach is probably the nicest. Sandals and Couples are really generic. You would do just as well to go to the nearest one to you, as they are all the same. One thing about an AI, is that all is already paid for, so it does tend to make the guests stay there and not venture out.

riu.com/en-us/Paises/jamaica...

I would rather go to a resort that is not all inclusive and have more freedom to pick and choose. But that's just me. I know Jamaica pretty well, and lived in Jah Town (Kingston) for some time back in the day, and frequently go back.

Don't worry about, finding things to do, bars and such. Plenty within reach. Here are a few: I can recommend Margaritaville, and Mi Yard.

http://www.negrilinfo.com/id2.html

Oh, - one thing. You may want to check out Rick's once you hear all about the cliff diving. Everyone gets caught up in that one. If you are serious about jumping off the cliff at Rick's, at Treasure Beach, perhaps you need to take a look at their fatality rate.....

rickscafenegril.com/otherinj...

http://www.rickscafejamaica.com/

travelpod.com/travel-photo/k...

Here is some stuff from our VT members about Negril, including cliff jumping.

Negril Things to Do

I would perhaps try to make a trip to the Royal Palm Reserve, a protected flora/fauna area just a few miles inland from Negril close to the town of Sheffield. It is just breathtaking. There is a a long boardwalk that you can walk deep into the reserve, and they have over 40 observation towers that give you just spectacular views over the area.

Nearby is the Lighthouse Inn, where the cusine is very good. What they do have, that in quite good, is a local "Mento" show. They used to do this once a week but if you check with them you can find out the day(s) they do this. They will also pick you up and drop you off at your hotel if you make dinner reservations.

Mento, by the way, is Jamaican folk music that is similar to Calypso but different. It predates ska and reggae, and if not for Mento, there likely would be no reggae. Well worth seeing. (Reggae is the soundtrack to my live/movie....)

Don't know if this is your style, but this is a little known hideaway on the beach in Negril, that is just beautiful, and serene. I do like this place a lot. No, it is not a huge place, but for a couple it is definately worth it. Just though I would throw it in here.

http://www.nirvananegril.com/

If you are interested in the "real" Jamaica, relatively unspoiled still, a drive past the Lighthous down the south western coast is the place to go. Relatively void of tourism, the people are friendly and the scenery is great.

Enjoy my Jamaica. One love gyal......d:o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines