Nebraska Travel Answers

change location
lovinoz's Profile Photo

Durango CO to Omaha NE - Train Feedback?

by lovinoz Online Now Oct 24, 2005 at 8:54 PM

We will be traveling from Durango CO to Omaha NE during our RTW trip.

One option is to drive from Durango to Grand Junction, then take the train from there to Omaha, passing through the mountains on the train. Has anyone taken the train on this route before?? Is the mountainous part between Grand Junction and Denver all in tunnels, or is there great scenery?? What is the drive like from Durango to Grand Junction?

Another option is to drive from Durango to Denver, then catch the train from there to Omaha. Which will be more scenic? We don't want to go from Grand Junction if it will all be in tunnels.

Any comments about the Denver to Omaha train ride? Are we correct in thinking we should spend the extra99-127 to upgrade to a Roommette instead of just getting coach seats since it is an overnight trip? How is the food?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • ellielou's Profile Photo

RE: Durango CO to Omaha NE - Train Feedback?

by ellielou Online Now Oct 25, 2005 at 7:43 AM

I'm not sure if this helps, but many years ago I did a RT from Lincoln, NE to Denver. The scenery for the most part is nothing to speak of, but when you do leave Nebraska...which, granted, is opposite from the way you'll be travelling, you get confused about when the plains end and when the mountains begin....You become unsure if you're seeing clouds or seeing the tops of mtns, which is acutally pretty cool....

The seats on Amtrak coach are pretty comfortable, and I remember just sleeping on them. The food is, well, train food, which is, I think, a step up from airline fare.

Also, you should be aware the the US doesn't adequately fund the rail system here....you should be prepared for delays...esp. on a route like that, which isn't one of the major ones (i.e. the northeast corridor from Boston to DC.)

Have a good trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Nebraska Travel Answer Locations