Nazaré Travel Answers

change location

what type of clams is Ameijoas a Bulhao Pato made with?

by kajj Online Now Oct 9, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Can anyone tell me what type of clams Ameijoas a Bulhao Pato is made with??

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • cinanina's Profile Photo

Re: what type of clams is Ameijoas a Bulhao Pato made with?

by cinanina Online Now Oct 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Hi,
    Ameijoas à Bulhão Pato are from Costa da Caparica (Almada) in the region of Lisbon, not from Nazaré! You can use any type of clams but of course we use the ones form the region which are pretty common and look like the typical clam: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clam

Good luck with your cooking

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: what type of clams is Ameijoas a Bulhao Pato made with?

by kajj Online Now Oct 10, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Hi Cinanina, thank you for your reply. I have eaten in many restaurants in Nazare that serve Ameijoas a Bulhao Pato. I did not realize that the clams only came from the Lisbon area, considering that is just 75km down the coast? That part made me giggle. Also have you read the Wikipedia entry for clams? There are 200 edible, different types of clams.

Does anyone know what the very small, little neck, white, clams are called that they use? Soft shell? Hard shell? Manilo?

by cinanina Online Now Oct 13, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Hi,

I don't think you understand my reply. The dish itself is typical from Costa da Caparica not Nazaré. Nazaré is a very small town so it's like wanting to know about a particular typical regional dish, for example, a quiche (lorraine) and then going to the Concarneau forum to ask about it. Ok, so you ate it there but it doesnt make much sense...

but ok, you can make Ameijoas à Bulhão Pato with any kind of clams - I've shown you a picture of a typical clam that is used to do the dish...

good luck

by cinanina Online Now Oct 14, 2011 at 6:03 AM

Ruditapes decussatus - Ameijoa-boa

proveportugal.pt/chef/henriq...

• Re: what type of clams is Ameijoas a Bulhao Pato made with?

by kajj Online Now Oct 21, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Hello,
    Again, I appreciate your response but please click on the link below. These are the clams that I am looking for the name of. Very small and white...do you know the name of this specific clam, not the family of clams because there are 200 of them, just this specific very small, white clam that are served at the outdoor restaurants in Nazare? They are in boxes of water, alive, squirting water, cleaning themselves out of sand, in front of some of the little restaurants.

ratatuidospobres.blogspot.co...

Thank You in advance

by cinanina Online Now Oct 23, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Hi,
    The white type is Spisula solida. We have another type we use which is different from normal clams (ameijoas) called cadelinhas, but these are more to the green colour and they are smaller than clams. Here is an image of cadelinhas petiscos.com/smf/index.php?t...
    Can these be what you are looking for? Cadelinhas are also cooked in the same fashion (à Bulhão Pato).

by cinanina Online Now Oct 23, 2011 at 9:18 AM

By the way, all types of clams and other sea food will be standing on front of restaurants in "boxes of water, alive, squirting water, cleaning themselves out of sand", and lots of clams are used to do ameijoas à Bulhão Pato, so it's difficult to tell which you ate.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines