Naxos Island Travel Answers

change location

Please help - is Naxos for me?

by x-Amy-x Online Now Jul 24, 2007 at 6:30 AM

Hello,
I'm planning a holiday to Greece next year for myself and my best friend. It's our first 'girly holiday' abroad but we've opted out of the typical Magaluuf/Kavos hangover type trip which interests neither of us. My friends never been to Greece but I love the country and have previously visited many islands on family holidays such as Corfu, Skiathos, Kefalonia and Crete. In May we visited Thassos (and stayed in the main town) and I absoloutely loved it - has to be my best ever holiday.
We're not sure which island to visit next year and want to make the right choice. I've always wanted to go to Naxos but am worried whether there will be enough to do and whether it will give my friend a true first impression of tradtional Greece ( which I have told her of so many times!) We'd like there to be enough nightlife so that if we wanted to go for drinks after a meal we could, but are also happy to discover the traditional Greek tavernas (along with the young and charming Greek waiters! - of which I've also told her of many a time!)
If anyone has visited Naxos previously I'd love to know whether you think Naxos would be a good idea for our holiday (We'll be eighteen). Also if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to know. We've also wondered about going back to Thassos.
Thank-you, Amy x x x
p.s. How does Naxos compare with other islands in terms of money for eating out? Eg, we found Corfu alot more expensive than the island of Thassos and I've also read that Skiathos compares quite expensively.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Re: Please help - is Naxos for me?

by SWFC_Fan Online Now Jul 24, 2007 at 11:20 AM

Hi Amy,

I've been to Naxos a couple of times and absolutely love it there! It's probably my favourite island in the whole of Greece - and I've been to quite a few!

On both of my visits I stayed at Agios Prokopios, a lovely relaxed beach resort that is located about 6km from Naxos Town. There are frequent buses, as well as taxis, to get to and from town. There are a handful of tavernas, bars and cafes in Agios Prokopios and a few more in neighbouring Agia Anna - but you might want to locate yourself nearer to Naxos Town (eg Agios Georgios beach area) for a wider selection.

Naxos has outstanding beaches, a really picturesque main town and an interior that is said to be excellent for hiking, although I've never ventured that far inland from the coast.

You shouldn't have any problem keeping yourselves occupied in Naxos, but if you're there for a couple of weeks you might want to visit other nearby islands on daytrips: Paros (similar in many respects to Naxos, with great beaches and a pretty whitewashed main town) is just 1 hour away by ferry or 30 minutes by hydrofoil; Mykonos (stunningly beautiful, but very crowded and expensive) is just an hour away; Delos (an uninhabited island with lots of ruins) can easily be combined with a daytrip to Mykonos. There are a few smaller islands just off the coast of Naxos (Schinoussa, Donousa, Koufonisi) that can be visited on organised daytrips in the summer months. Unfortunately, the trips hadn't started running when I was there in May so I didn't manage to visit them.

Have you planned how you will get to Naxos? I reckon your options are:

- Fly to Athens, then fly with Olympic Airlines to Naxos;

- Fly to Athens, then catch a ferry from Piraeus to Naxos;

- Find a cheap charter flight to Mykonos or Santorini and catch a ferry or hydrofoil from there to Naxos.

If you do decide to go to Naxos, I can highly recommend the excellent value for money Agios Prokopios Hotel and its sister hotel, Hotel Dimitra. You can read more about both of these hotels on my Naxos page if you're interested. If you want something closer to town, have a look on www.hostelbookers.com and www.hostelworld.com for a large selection of good value hotels and apartments.

My advice is to give Naxos a try! I'm pretty sure you won't regret it!

Enjoy your trip!

Jonathan

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Please help - is Naxos for me?

by packthekitchensink Online Now Aug 24, 2007 at 12:57 AM

AAAAAAAAHHHHHH 18!!! I remember... sigh...
    Naxos is a wonderful island. I too like Thassos and have spent several holidays there, but now i have found Naxos (i have spent time on all the large islands, worked as a rep in Crete and Island hopped many of the smaller islands so I think I know my stuff). It is much more "unspoilt" than many of the islands as there is other stuff going on there apart from tourism, so you get a better flavour. Fantastic beaches and lots of them, a lively little town that is much more buzzy than Thassos but not thumping disco, great tavernas filled with Greeks eating so you know they are good, plenty of bars but in a low key way (much better night life than Thassos). The prices are much lower than the big islands, Skiathos IS expensive - and massively over-rated I think. We found the food amongst the best to be had in Greece and the prices were really reasonable compared to other islands. Surprisingly they have a great italian in town and an Indian/chinese/thai place that is great if you want a break from Greek fare. I am off there in 5 days time for 18 whole days - hooorahhhhhhhhhh!!!! Best if you can hire some transport, as it is a big island with lots to see, but at 18 that may be a problem with insurance etc.. Oh, by the way, there is lots of windsurfing on the island - and lots of windsurfer boys!!! Wish to God i was 18 again!!!

• EllenMorg's Profile Photo

Re: Please help - is Naxos for me?

by EllenMorg Online Now Sep 15, 2007 at 9:10 AM

I agree with all the other replies. We too have visited and enjoyed Thassos. Naxos is now our favourite. It can be whatever kind of holiday you want, plenty to do, food excellent and plenty of choice, still many truly unspoilt places, wonderful beaches, lovely main town etc etc! Our 18 year old daughter is going next year with some girl friends.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines