Nationaal Park De Hoge Veluwe Travel Answers

change location

hotel nearby?

by angelabalkwill Online Now Jan 10, 2008 at 8:57 AM

I hope to visit De Hoge Veluwe at Easter and would like a hotel which is convenient for an entrance to De Hoge Veluwe. The idea is to get in cycling practice for my teenage (beginner cyclist) daughter.

Also can anyone recommend any other good base in Holland from which to take easy cycle rides?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • dnwitte's Profile Photo

Re: hotel nearby?

by dnwitte Online Now Jan 10, 2008 at 10:02 AM

Any countryside area would be easy cycling given that Holland is flat as a pancake, and many train stations have bicycle rental offices, and most roads have dedicated cycling paths.
    Of routes I've done, I can suggest Alkmaar, a nice town in its own right, but also a good place to begin a ride out to the coastal dunes, or Heemstede, which sits on the edge of the big commercial flower growing area (check conditions--Easter is early this year), or Woerden to Gouda, via Oudewater, an area the Dutch call "The green heart", beautiful quiet countryside of orchards, sheep farms, cute villages, and a wetland nature preserve called the Reeuwijkse Plassen right next door to Gouda.
    If you rent a bike from a train station, be aware you need to leave your passport and a hefty security deposit which is returned to you. The rental charges themselves are very cheap.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Jan 10, 2008 at 10:13 AM

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Jan 10, 2008 at 10:17 AM

There are two vilaages nearby De Hoge Veluwe: Hoenderloo and Otterlo.
    Personaaly I would recommend Hoenderloo, a small settlement in the middle of the scenic area of the Veluwe.
    It has a couple of hotels:
    Hotel Buitenlust - www.hotelbuitenlust.nl
    Herberg de Boerenkinkel - www.boerenkinkel.nl
    Pleisterplaats De Witte Hoeve ( a kind of bed&breakfast) - www.de-witte-hoeve.nl

Booking sites suggest more hotels in Hoenderloo, but these are rather far away from the village and De Hoge Veluwe.

Hoenderloo has also a large rental bike shop (www.fietsverhuur.com)

happy travels
    jaap

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Jan 10, 2008 at 3:38 PM

LOL! I was about to say Otterlo, which has a nice hotel called Witte Hoes (white house). I stayed there with my children in a separate room (they were I think 9 and 12 at the time). Everyone had a great time.

http://www.wittehoes.nl/

While you're there, a visit to Arnhem (zoo, safaripark, open air museum and the city itself) is certainly worth your time.
    Anywhere you go, you can rent bikes and cycle because there are special cyclepaths just about everywhere. In larger places, there is usually a bike rental at the train station. That's convenient because you can also put your luggage in storage there for the day.

• Pavlik_NL's Profile Photo

by Pavlik_NL Online Now Jan 18, 2008 at 11:12 AM

Like vtveen already offered: Hoenderlo and Otterlo are in the immediate vicinity of the Hoge Veluwe. At two of the three main entrances. In contrast to vtveen, I'ld recommened Otterlo, but just because I have more experiences with this Veluwe-village. Here two Bed & Breakfast's are very inviting to families with children. One is B&B "De Vogelvlucht" (The bird's flight): devogelvlucht.nl/en/index.ht...
    The other is B&B Otterlo:
    bedandbreakfastotterlo.nl/we...
    Both are about 1 1/2 kilometer from the entrance of the National Park.

To be honest, I am surprised that the N.P. "Hoge Veluwe" is choosen as beginners bicycle area, as it is one of the few places in The Netherlands that is actually more or less covered with small hills. Great things is however that the cycle paths are free (no cars!) and in the National Park there are some interesting sites to see.

The third entrance of the park (also the furthest from the main attractions, such as Kröller-Müller museum, the Museonder and the Hunting Lodge "Saint Hubertus") is the Arnhem entrance. Here, in the outskirt of Arnhem, called Schaarsbergen, are some excellent campings that also offer cabins and bungalows. Especially Camping Warnsborn is highly recommended by me: http://www.campingwarnsborn.nl/en/
    The distance to the entrance of the N.P. is however five kilometers and the distance to the attractions adds another 15 km! On the other hand, the city centre of Arnhem PLUS it's main attractions "Burgers Zoo" (http://www.burgerszoo.nl) and the Dutch Open Air Museum (openairmuseum.nl/?rewrite=en... might change your opinion in a wink.

Any more questions? You now know where to find me ...

Greetings from Arnhem,

Paul

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Jan 18, 2008 at 12:07 PM

When Pavlik/Paul mentioned "cycle paths are free" he means they are only for bikes and no other traffic. Of course you don't have to pay to use cycle paths.

The white bikes in NP Hoge Veluwe are free of charge.
    Personally though, I would rent a bike in the village Otterlo or Hoenderloo, or maybe your chosen accommodation provides them. Then you can choose a better bicycle with gears and stuff. If you do, take care to ALWAYS lock your bike when not using it.

You can find bike rentals (fietsverhuur) in various places in the province Gelderland here:
    fietsliefhebber.tripod.com/i...
    I could copy the addresses in Hoenderloo and Otterlo but if you go to this link you can click their websites.

I also agree with Paul about Arnhem. The whole area is wonderful to cycle, also outside NP Hoge Veluwe. And there are many attractions for all ages. I lived in Oosterbeek during my high school years and went to school in Arnhem.

• vtveen's Profile Photo

by vtveen Online Now Jan 18, 2008 at 12:11 PM

two of my fellow Dutch VT members recommend visiting Arnhem. Although I don't deny Arnhem having some nice tourist sites, I also would recommend visiting my hometown Apeldoorn, often more or less underestimated.

But the capital of the Veluwe has a lot to offer to tourists (with children):
    'Paleis Het Loo' (Palace Het Loo);
    'Apenheul', a monkey zoo;
    'Koninging Juliana Toren', an amusement park;
    'Malkenschoten', a children's farm;
    'Kristalbad', one of the most beautiful outdoor swimming pools in the Netherlands;
    'Veluwsche Stoomtrein Maatschappij', for a (steam)train ride.

And much more ....

Jaap

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Jan 18, 2008 at 12:22 PM

LOL Jaap. I considered mentioning Apeldoorn but you were already in this thread, so...
    Don't forget Apenheul, the monkey park near Apeldoorn where some of the monkeys roam free...

over to you, Jaap!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Nationaal Park De Hoge Veluwe