Narvik Travel Answers

change location
Tojkior's Profile Photo

A place for a 7 day mountain hiking

by Tojkior Online Now Jun 11, 2003 at 2:55 PM

I'm looking for suggestions on where to go for a 7-8 day trekking. I'm looking for a true wilderness (off-trail hiking with full equipment). Last year I was in Sarek, Sweden and I love it. Now I like to find something similar in Norway. I hope I find something near Narvik, cause it's close to Sarek (I hope the landscape would be more or less the same) and it's easy to get there by train from Stockholm. Thanks in advance for any help. Best, Kamil

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • dave_21's Profile Photo

Re: A place for a 7 day mountain hiking

by dave_21 Online Now Jun 11, 2003 at 3:15 PM

Hi, I also like Sarek National Park a lot. I have been in Abisko National Park, Sweden (Close to Narvik) many times and there you'll find true wilderness and perfect for off-trail hiking. The landscape looks just like Sarek but be prepared for some more snow here. This is my favourite NP so far in Sweden. I'm going there this year too, it will be my start for my 450km walk down to Tärnaby. I strongly recommend it, even if you want a simular place in Norway. But I think you should also ask my friend Narviking, he lives in Narvik and knows the areas in Norway!! David

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Narviking's Profile Photo

Re: A place for a 7 day mountain hiking

by Narviking Online Now Jun 11, 2003 at 3:42 PM

Hello ! Concerning walking in the mountains around Narvik there are many routes to take. For example you could come to Narvik and start in the mountains surrounding the town and follow various paths and finally end up in Nikkaluokta in Sweden. From there you can get transport back to the trains and go back home from Kiruna. On the maps about the area there are many paths to take. Its difficult to say which one you should try. If you come to Narvik I can help you if you want with transport to the startingpoint in the mountain etc. I dont know if its available but try to get the map about Abisko-Kebnekaise-Narvik BD6. I dont know if they have it in Poland but a friend in Prague bought it there and I have it too here in Narvik ofcourse. If you have any questions just mail me.

• Tojkior's Profile Photo

Re: Re: A place for a 7 day mountain hiking

by Tojkior Online Now Jun 16, 2003 at 1:50 AM

Thanks for all suggestions. I've had a glance at the map (not so detailed) and I am thinking about leaving a train somewhere between Abisko and Narvik (e.g. Katterat), then walk (off-trail) to Kebnekaise and then walk back to Abisko or Torneträsk. What do you think about this? I'd like to avoid popular trails. What about fishing in this area - is it possible (outside the NPs of course, where to obtain necessary license (permission)? I'd like to be there in the middle of august, what about mosquitoes - may it be a problem there?

• dave_21's Profile Photo

by dave_21 Online Now Jun 16, 2003 at 4:14 AM

Good question, and I think you meant Katterjåkk? I have been walking from Riksgränsen (Close to Katterjåkk) and down. There are much snow there, even in july. But august is the best time! The positiv with walking off-trail here is that it doesn't grow much trees there, so it will be quite easy but quite rough terreain. Because of the location, there is also possibilities that snow can fall in august, so bring some warm clothing. I think it's possible to walk to kebnekaise. And I hope you're going to climb it? I climbed it last year, and it was great! I think the government owns some waters, and the Sami's some. I have been fishing more down south at kebnekaise and all the waters in unspoiled so beleive me, it's lots of fish there. But. The some of mountains lakes who's located high over sea lever might not contain fish at all. So follow my advice and try to fish in the rivers and the lakes at the tree line. If you're going to fish in abisko NP, it will be hard. I don't think they'll let anyone fish there. I was in Abisko last year and I saw tons of Chars and Trouts standing in those rivers, so there is fish... But outside the NP:s I think you can get a fishing license. I suggest you contact Lapland Tourist information, http://www.lappland.se/index_eng.html or call them +46 980-188 80 I know a great fishing spot at Torneträsk, if you're interested too. Mosquitoes is always a problem, but as long as you are above the tree line they wont bother you. Below the tree line it might be much Mosquitoes in august because of the short, intense summer. Good luck on your trip, it sounds like a blast!

• Tojkior's Profile Photo

by Tojkior Online Now Jun 16, 2003 at 12:29 PM

I have taken the place name from the tagkompaniet timetable. I am looking for suggestions in that matter. Do you know any resources where I can find information about terrain conditions, paths, river fords, interesting places, etc.(there is quite much about Abisko NP, but I can't find anything about the area on the east and west)? Is it worth to go to Torneträsk (I mean is there a long way in the forest?)?

• Narviking's Profile Photo

by Narviking Online Now Jun 16, 2003 at 12:33 PM

Katterjåkk is located on the swedish side of the border a few kilometers from Abisko. Katterat is on the norwegian side of the border a few kilometers from the swedish border.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines