Naran Travel Answers

change location

Condition of Naran/Kaghan/Shogran after Earth quake?

by naeemomer Online Now Jun 18, 2007 at 5:12 AM

Hello all,
I went to Naran in Aug 2002, and I have plans once again to go to Balakot, Shogran,Kaghan and Naran. But I am not sure about the conditions of the places after 2005 earth quake. Did anyone travel recently there? how is the condition of living there? And can anyone guide me more about the situation there? How is the road condition from Balakot to Naran (And also to Shogran)? Can one travel on own car? Or jeep is recommended? I traveled last time in own car, as the road was in very good condition, but what about now?

Which is the best place to stay (at any cost)? By best place, I mean with all the facilities!
Which is best resturant to have food!
and other attractions there (other than Lake Saif ul malook)

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • imranthetrekker's Profile Photo

Re: Condition of Naran/Kaghan/Shogran after Earth quake?

by imranthetrekker Online Now Jun 20, 2007 at 5:45 AM

Bonjour,

I was in Kund Bangla in the early days of June, with so,e British friends, I met some people ane they told me that the raods're open to Kaghan, Naran but don't expect anything like in 2002, roads're bad, and they're worst during the rainy season.
    `
    Road till Balakot, is fine rest of the areas in trouble.

Tres Bon Voyage,

Imran Schah
    France.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Condition of Naran/Kaghan/Shogran after Earth quake?

by Azharbabar Online Now Jun 26, 2007 at 2:55 AM

Salam friend,

I went to Naran on the 19/06/07. Road up to Balakot is excellent. But from Balakot to Kewai is damaged but not in a very bad condition. After Kewai the road gets much better with occasional spots where one needs to travel on the landslides since the original road has vanished. But generally, it is not that bad. I went there in my Mehran without any trouble, so that must give you some idea about the conditions there.

You must go there before the monsoon season. Accommodation is plenty. You can get good accommodation at a very reasonable cost, since not much tourist are headed that way yet.

Have a safe trip.

Azhar...

• Fudge's Profile Photo

by Fudge Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 1:21 AM

hi Naeem,

Have you already done this trip?
    I went to Naran from Mansehra, via Balakot etc... and the road was fine albeit you need to be with a good and careful driver. There was a lot of rockslides after the July rains. And some sections of the road after Balakot were very narrow. You don't necesarily need a jeep. I was in a 12 seater Van and we were fine. from Naran to Saiful Maluk we hiked and took the jeep back. But i would advise that because of the rains, many sections were slippery and sometimes I think walking i safer... be prepared to traverse glaciers though and wear good boots as there are some wet sections/rivers to cross. these may have dried up if you haven't gone as yet.

Cheers.

• Fudge's Profile Photo

by Fudge Online Now Jul 27, 2007 at 1:23 AM

hi Naeem,

Have you already done this trip?
    I went to Naran from Mansehra, via Balakot 2 weeks ago and the road was fine albeit you need to be with a good and careful driver. There was a lot of rockslides after the July rains. And some sections of the road after Balakot were very narrow although passable. You don't necesarily need a jeep. I was in a 12 seater Van and we were fine. from Naran to Saiful Maluk we hiked and took the jeep back. But i would advise that because of the rains, many sections were slippery and sometimes I think walking i safer... be prepared to traverse glaciers though and wear good boots as there are some wet sections/rivers to cross. these may have dried up if you haven't gone as yet.

Road to Shogran no worries, as what I have heard from pple in mansehra in mid July.

Cheers.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines