Nara Travel Answers

change location

shukubo?

by dilaurorn Online Now Feb 17, 2008 at 12:05 PM

I am looking for Shukubo within close distance to Kyoto or Nara that does not object to americans,we plan to learn whatever we can so as not to offend by our ignorance. We really want to experience the prayers & meditations as well as shojin ryori.
Because of our itinerary;(we have one day available before we go to Nara -for one night- via Kyoto, and then back to Kyoto for a few nights before returning to Tokyo)
Nara would be best but I cannot find mention of any temples offering shukubo either in Nara (or Uji, I don't know other areas between to search)
In Kyoto I've found only names of a few places but no real information, reviews or contact details.
I find copious amounts of information about Koyasan- However, we don't really have enough time to make it worthwile.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • squidly2's Profile Photo

Re: shukubo?

by squidly2 Online Now Feb 17, 2008 at 3:30 PM

Here are some links form another forum - I had bookmarked these because I am interested in a Shukubo, but haven't stayed in one yet.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g2...

japantravelinfo.com/plan/use...
    Pictures of Daishin-In:
    maltesegallerie.com/supertem...

Hope that helps!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: shukubo?

by Hydrangea Online Now Feb 18, 2008 at 6:31 AM

Yes, Koyasan is a long distance from Kyoto, but it seems to me that it's possible for you to go there if you have several days in Kyoto and Nara.
    It takes about three hours from Kyoto, two hours from Nara to Koyasan.
    I think it worth visiting and experiencing, because there are so many temples in moutain area and the atomosphere is completely different from cities such as Kyoto or Nara.
    Please think about it.

If you need some information about the places you found around Kyoto, I might be able to give you some more information in detail. Tell me their names.

Good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines