Napier Travel Answers

change location

Best way to get to Napier from Auckland?

by lysia9 Online Now May 3, 2011 at 12:33 AM

Hi, I will be in staying in Auckland during the RWC and have tickets to a game in Napier. It seems no trains go to Napier, and as it is during the World Cup, flight prices are ridiculously high. Does anyone have any advice for the best way to get there? From what I've looked into, rental cars or Intercity buses may be the best option. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Steve51's Profile Photo

Re: Best way to get to Napier from Auckland?

by Steve51 Online Now May 3, 2011 at 12:43 AM

take the bus or one of the shuttles - I'm guessing you aren't from NZ...
    it's about 5 hours driving and their is a significant mismatch between driver skills and road conditions...not too much wrong with road !
    You will be safer and more relaxed by public transport

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kiwi's Profile Photo

Best way to get to Napier from Auckland?

by kiwi Online Now May 3, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Intercity is good. Also try nakedbus.com . Whatever, you may need to get on and book as it will be a busy time. I doubt you'll get very cheap fares with anyone during that time, but the sooner you book the better.
    Unlike other countries, train travel is not really available except for a couple of routes, in New Zealand.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Best way to get to Napier from Auckland?

by Kakapo2 Online Now May 3, 2011 at 10:33 AM

If you just want to get from Auckland to Napier without any touristy interest, Intercity (or another bus company) is not only the most relaxing but also the cheapest option. If you are sure that you will travel on a certain date you can choose the non-refundable fare, this can cost as little as NZ$ 39 one way.

For a hire car I gather you have to invest at least NZ$ 60 per day, you would need it for two or three days, you need insurance, you need petrol, so quite an expensive exercise.

However, the more people you are, the relatively cheaper a car gets.

Bus travel takes 6.5 to 7 hours.

www.intercity.co.nz

BTW Even at times without Rugby World Cup airfares to Napier are rarely ever cheap, you would have to be very lucky and flexible.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines