Napier Travel Answers

change location
faberina's Profile Photo

One day in Napier

by faberina Online Now Jan 27, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Hi all.......we are 4 mature ladies from Oz coming to your part of the world for one day only, off the Sun Princess and are wondering what we can do to fill in the day. We aren't doing any of the ships tours as they are too expensive so we thought we would do our own thing. So now we need to know what are the best things to do. Thanks

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • vtveen's Profile Photo

Re: One day in Napier

by vtveen Online Now Jan 28, 2009 at 1:20 AM

I hihghly recommend:
    - a guided/unguided art deco walk around downtown Napier (www.artdeconapier.com)
    - a visit to Cape Kidnappers with its famopus gannet colony (and beautiful scenery)

See fore more info and pics my Napier page: "Napier - Art Deco and Gannets" - Napier by vtveen

happy travels
    Jaap

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kiwigal_1's Profile Photo

by kiwigal_1 Online Now Jan 28, 2009 at 5:11 AM

Hi there,

My favourite thing to do in Napier is to visit some of the wineries in the area. You can take a guided tour to a few of them or go on your own. See my Napier page for other details.
    I also like to walk around central Napier and look at the art deco buildings and take a walk along Marine Parade also (waterfront area).

You could take a trip out to Havelock North and visit Te Mata Peak for the views across Hawke┬┤s Bay.

Cheers,
    Rhianon

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jan 28, 2009 at 1:06 PM

As you arrive by cruise ship I suppose you will arrive early in the morning and leave by 5 or 6pm, as they do further down south here in Lyttelton.

So the time is rather limited by means of really getting out of Napier. To get to Te Mata Peak, for example, you would need to rent a car.

Clifton where the Cape Kidnappers tours start is already a 20 to 30 min drive from Napier. The tour itself takes about 4 hours. But there is a shuttle from Napier, so this would mean that you do not necessarily need a car. So a 6 hour frame is needed to make this tour.

BUT: You have to check the departure times of the tours if you want to do the highly recommended tractor tour along the beach, they can change dramatically from day to day, depending on the tides. So if they start in the afternoon you have no chance of being back at your cruise ship in time.

See here:

http://www.gannets.com/pages/book.html

Another company which makes overland safaris in 4WD has a 9.30am departure, so this would be possible.

The town itself is really beautiful, the art deco architecture in this density (thanks to a major earthquake with loss of life and near complete destruction) is unique in NZ. You can get maps for self-guided walking tours at the i-site. This would take about 2 hours.

This year the Art Deco Festival takes place from 17 to 22 February. Perhaps you are there?

http://www.artdeconapier.com/

At the National Aquarium of NZ they also have a Kiwi House and tuataras. At Opossum World you can learn why we do not like your forest pets in NZ ;-)

You should make the effort to get up to Bluff Hill for the view.

Marine Parade is a very nice area to relax. It includes a spa complex.

At the Hawke's Bay Museum you can learn more about the earthquake from 1931.

As most probably you will not have a lot of time for a winery tour you can also taste the wines in the town.

• faberina's Profile Photo

by faberina Online Now Jan 29, 2009 at 4:03 AM

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information.

by Kakapo2 Online Now Feb 8, 2009 at 12:19 AM

And now you tell me what this website lists for Napier apart from ZERO reviews of Hawkes Bay?!

What a load of rubbish tip!

I recommend you stop advertising this website everywhere as long as it cannot deliver useful information to the point.

• Re: One day in Napier

by tina55 Online Now Jan 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM

What are your interests & what day of the week will you be in Napier?

Time will be a factor as you will need to be back at the Sun Princess with half an hour to spare but in saying that dont let that stop you from venturing out!

-winery
    -te mata peak, havelock north (25mins away by car) for a view of Hawkes Bay. Good drive up from the bottom of the peak to the top. The walks around the peak are familiar with the locals but dont think I would recommend them unguided to you in case you got lost!
    -cape kidnappers - tide dependent & time of the year are considerations. great on the back of a tractor but allow five hours for return trip to napier & back
    -waimarama maori tourism - go to: www.waimaramaori.com
    -napier shops (statements gallery & Ujazi for coffee next door) & art deco tour
    -hot pools & spa in napier along marine parade
    -Ahuriri in napier - nice for a walk, coffee & a drink on a nice day - good outlook but away from town shops. Could combine the last three easily.

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jan 16, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Tina, I am afraid you are a little late. This thread is from about one year ago, so I am rather confident those ladies have already been in Napier.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines