Napier Travel Answers

change location
martin_nl's Profile Photo

Cape Kidnappers

by martin_nl Online Now Sep 14, 2003 at 5:54 AM

In February and March I will go to NZ. At the end of February I want to visit Cape Kidnappers to see the Gannet colony. Now for my questions I would like to know how I can get from Taupo to Napier by using public transportation and how much would that cost approx? Also when I'm in Napier, how to get to the colony? Can I only book the tractor tour there, or is it possible to do this on my own? How far away is Cape Kidnappers exactly from Napier? Lots of questions, but I hope you can help me. Martin

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • martin_nl's Profile Photo

Re: Cape Kidnappers

by martin_nl Online Now Sep 15, 2003 at 5:05 PM

Thanks for your reply Jennifer. How great that you still remember that from your childhood! I hope it is still possible to walk there...even though 20 km seems a little bit far away, especially if I have to return too! I do have all day and walking along the coastline has to be great, so who knows. Do you know how far exactly (in km) Cape Kidnappers is from Napier? Also 20 km? Thx.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jen_nz's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Cape Kidnappers

by jen_nz Online Now Sep 27, 2003 at 9:58 PM

Hi there. Well i live in napier. Taupo is about 1 3/4 hrs drive from napier. From Taupo you can catch a bus wouldnt cost much at all.There is also tour busses to the gannets.Cape Kidnappers is about 30 mins at the most from napier. Hope this helps

• kiwi's Profile Photo

Cape Kidnappers

by kiwi Online Now Sep 27, 2003 at 10:03 PM

For transportation from Taupo to Napier, here is one bus company: www.intercitycoach.co.nz oh and another: www.newmanscoach.co.nz

• robberjak's Profile Photo

Re: Cape Kidnappers

by robberjak Online Now Oct 1, 2003 at 1:02 AM

My dad used to be one of the original tractor drivers and I used to spend every summer visiting the Cape as a kid. Here is the website for Gannet Beach Adventures : and here you will find everything you need to know about getting from where you are staying to Gannet Beach Adventures and then on to the gannets. Some people do the walking thing, and that's cool, but if you go with Rod, you will get a great commentary about the beach, and history of the place on the way there and back, and the ride is usually full of fun. I hope you have a wonderful time. The Cape will always have a part of me.

• robberjak's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Cape Kidnappers

by robberjak Online Now Oct 1, 2003 at 1:05 AM

Whoops. Somehow the weblink went missing. Here it is again: www.gannets.com Cheers

• kiwi's Profile Photo

Cape Kidnappers

by kiwi Online Now Oct 1, 2003 at 3:28 AM

VirtualTourist.com [please don't delete me advertising the dotcom here :-)] is simply the BEST when we have such personal information like this. Thanks so much!! :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines