Nanu Oya

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Food and drink?

Sri Lanka Jul 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM

going to sri Lanka in 3 weeks (late booking), roughly how much can we expect to spend on meals, both in hotels and cafes? Going with our 2 teenage boys who have hollow legs so won't be fine dining too often!

more
    • fergal26Solo's Profile Photo

Rough Route Any Help Please!

Sri Lanka Jul 3, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Hello,
      I'm hoping someone out there might be able to point me in the right direction and Help me. I'm going to Sri lanka for 17 Nights, Arriving on the 1st of September. I’m 26 travelling on my own. Therefore I'm honestly a bundle of nerves but it’s something I really want and need to do for myself.

Knowing Nothing about Sri lanka. I bought A Lonely Planet Guide book. I've read a fair bit about certain places besides the North. To say the least it's hugely overwhelming. Even beginning to put an itinerary together is seriously daunting there's just so much to choose from and too much info on the net. That's why I turned here. Anyone’s guidance on a route and how to get from A to B would Be Invaluable.

Initially I had written down in my Things to Do list:

See Elephants and National Park
      Go for A longish cycle (Day-trip)
      Train Ride (Perhaps through the Hills)
      Some form Of hike forest-jungle
      See some wildlife + (See Some stunning Views)
      Sigiyara
      See Some Impressively big Buddha Statues

Now after reading about Colombo, West Coast, The South, The hill Country, The Ancient Cities and the East my mind is boggled. My List has morphed into another Guidebook. The last thing I want to do is be running around like a headless chicken trying to see too Much .I'm clueless which direction to start going. I'd like to see some Nice views, wildlife, Rural Villages and experience Sri lanka and its people not at a frenetic pace. I'm not really interested in history to much and I'm not a mad drinker also I will be on a budget so I doubt I’ll be hiring Drivers at all. Any tips on how to fit these in or the best approach or any advice would be more than welcome.

The only part I have decided on is to go to Negombo Over Colombo, So I will start out from here. It sounds like a place where I would be able to do a nice cycle and see some fishing towns. That’s what id really love to see authentic Villages and People. The only other concrete conclusion I have is it will have to be either the West or East coast to see some nice beaches both sound great. Galle again doesn’t hold too much to interest me, but it would be nice to see some nice beaches on the way south on the west coast and some towns and villages. So Maybe The south coast might be worth it (Love Fishing) It’s a toss up between west coast and The east coast for beaches. The east coast sounds a lot more interesting given its struggles over the past few decades and Argum bay and around sound equally nice any Opinions.I’m leaning towards the East.

Negombo-West Coast-South (Either option would give me a good foundation
      Negombo-East to start my trip)

The hill country sounds great (God It has So Much to Offer and I Bet Id get Great Views) I would like to see Horton plains – Worlds End .What stood out here was Sinharaja forest reserve for a trek (Even If Only for the day) or the Knuckles Range any advice would be Fantastic and also any recommendations for the hill country .I hear Nuwara Eliya and Ella are nice but I don’t want to bite of more than I can chew. What I have added to my original Wish List is Anuradhapura and Mirissa also Sounds Really Nice. So From my original list to Sinjahara ,Anuradhapura etc and the other places I have mentioned Could Anyone suggest what is achievable and what isn’t worth it. I’m Not sure where to fit the National Park into all of this Maybe once I have a rough route There may be one that will suit in the area I am in.

I’m sorry for the ridiculously long Questionnaire. I feel this trip is out of my depth at the moment and if I had a Rough Idea of where I was going I would be an awful lot happier so any Feedback I’d be So grateful.
      Thanking you
      Fergal

more
    • herathsasi's Profile Photo

mihinthalaya destination in srilanka

Mihintale Jun 18, 2014 at 8:53 PM

what is mihintale in anuradapuraya

more
    • fergal26Solo's Profile Photo

Revised Route September 1st (Any Input Very Welcome)

Sri Lanka Jul 8, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Hey
      Im wondering if ye would be so kind as to give me your thoughts on what I have been thinking following my last post.I promise I wont annoy ye too much anymore but I could do with the advice.

Looking At the Map I'm Wondering Is this feasible in the 17days and also How would be the best way to travel between each..

Negombo (2-3 Nights)
      Sigiriya (Habarana Nartional park) and do my cycle trip
      Anuradhapura
      Trincomalee (2-3 Nights)
      Maybe one more stop on the east coast
      Sinharaja (2Nights)
      Haputale (2Nights)

(Nights in each Place Just guessing But I dont want to Rush)

Therefore I would Skip Kandy and Finish my trip In Haputale.I think I would Be quite Happy with this Itinerary.Seem's to be a good Mixture. I'm Unsure where to base myself and for how long in Sigiriya (Habarana National Park) And Anuradhapura. What Do You think! And Ill be heading to trincomalee after.

I finally feel I am getting Somewhere thanks for the Ideas Guys :)

Thanks Fergal

more
    • Ideas for a beach stay - 5 days free in Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka Jun 15, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Hi, we are 2 ladies visiting Sri Lanka from Australia in late August and have 5 days for a beach break before going on a tour around the country to see the main sights. We will be spending the first few days in Hikkaduwa so will travel from there, before starting the tour in Negombo.
      Any suggestions of where would be good to spend these 5 free days at that time of year? We are happy to get off the beaten track a little but prefer to spend it by the sea, a little relaxation and maybe some hiking and diving as well. We would like to experience more than just the areas dedicated to tourists and see the real Sri Lanka. Happy to travel around but this may prove challenging in the short amount of time we have.
      Any advice would be much appreciated! Cheers

more