Nantucket Travel Answers

change location

only have one day

by ashleyking Online Now Aug 6, 2004 at 9:07 AM

There was no Cap Code forum, but this is close enough. I (along with my boyfriend) will be in Cap Code area for one day and one day only. I know this is a very limited time, but because of our schedule this is all we have. My question is what should we do? Should we take ferries to Nantucket and/or Martha's Vineyard or should we stay on the main island? What are the main places to check out (outdoor/nature stuff, lighthouses)? Should we go whale watching here (because it is @20 cheaper than in Maine, which we will be visiting for about 3 days) or would that take up too much time? Any advise/comments/suggestions will be much appreciated!!! Thanks soo much to anyone who can help, Great day to all FRIDAY.....YEAH!!!! ashley

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • Anthro's Profile Photo

Re: only have one day

by Anthro Online Now Aug 6, 2004 at 9:28 AM

You'd be spending a lot of time on the ferry from Cape Cod to Nantucket if you only had one day. I like Nantucket though, although I spent a few days there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Aug 6, 2004 at 9:29 AM

Visiting Cape Cod, one should not miss Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. Take the ferry, it's part of the "charm" of the area. You should also check before reserving any "whale watching" excursion to be certain it is the correct time to actually see them.

• Re: Re: only have one day

by ashleyking Online Now Aug 6, 2004 at 9:53 AM

Thanks for the help ashley

by ashleyking Online Now Aug 6, 2004 at 9:54 AM

how long are the ferry rides to Nantucet and Martha's Vineyard?

• Anthro's Profile Photo

Re: Re: only have one day

by Anthro Online Now Aug 6, 2004 at 9:59 AM

I think, if I remember from my own trip a few years ago, that it's almost 2 hours, one way from Hyannis Port to Nantucket.

by ashleyking Online Now Aug 6, 2004 at 10:02 AM

gosh that is a long time one way. thanks for the tip have a great day ashley

• Anthro's Profile Photo

by Anthro Online Now Aug 6, 2004 at 10:06 AM

no problem, Have a great weekend! Leah

• MURRA's Profile Photo

by MURRA Online Now Aug 6, 2004 at 10:13 AM

there is a neat little canal across cape cod that u can see boats go thru and woods hole marine observatory is near this. this is at the entrance to the cape. if you have a car try provincetown tip of cape cod. there are paved biking trails but u likely not enuf time for that.

• where2next's Profile Photo

by where2next Online Now Aug 6, 2004 at 1:44 PM

In lieu of not going to Nantucket, one place that's not so far out of the way is Newport, Rhode Island. It's a nice place to hang out and there are variety of things to see.

by ashleyking Online Now Aug 6, 2004 at 3:00 PM

Thanks guys I really appreciate the good advise hope ever one has a great weekend!!!!!! ashley

• diver-x's Profile Photo

by diver-x Online Now Aug 6, 2004 at 3:15 PM

I have never been to Nantucket, but I have been to the Cape and Martha's Vineyard. I'd rather go to the Vineyard than the Cape. We've done day trips before to MV from Boston, so only one day there is fine. The ferry takes about 45 minutes from Woods Hole to Vineyard Haven. For more ferry info, see www.steamshipauthority.com/.

• Monza_dh's Profile Photo

by Monza_dh Online Now Aug 8, 2004 at 2:46 PM

The Cape is a large area and one day is not enough to really explore. I would say pick one area such as Falmouth or Chatham or Wellfleet and spend time checking out what each has to offer. Where ever you are doen the Cape you won't be far from a beach either. As for the Islands, you can take the Fast Ferry from Hyannis to Nantucket in an hour but it will set you back100. I would recommend for one day maybe going out to Chatham and then on to Wellfleet and Cahoon's Hollow beach. Or stay in the Falmouth area and take the ferry over to the Vinyard for the day or just dinner. If you go I would only go to Edgartown and Skip the rest. The Vinyard is very large and getting around is a hastle. Check out the ferry times below: http://www.falmouthferry.com/ http://www.islandqueen.com/

by ashleyking Online Now Aug 9, 2004 at 8:26 AM

Thank you so very much for your help, I know we will have a great time!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines