change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• hike wonderlake

Denali National Park and Preserve Apr 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Hello

I want to go to wonderlake for 3 days and take a hike on the backcountry in the south, some of it has t renseingements on southern wonderlake?

thank you

more
    • Flightseeing over an Alaskan glacier...which one?

Alaska 14 hours ago

I am going on a northbound cruise of Alaska with my wife and in-laws. We are going on the Royal Caribbean 7N Northbound Alaska & Hubbard Glacier cruise.
      It will stop at various ports along the way between Vancouver and Seward. We will fly back from Anchorage. There are many flightseeing excursions over Alaskan glaciers at the various ports during the cruise itinerary. They are of course rediculousy expensive and I will restrict/treat myself to ONLY one. I will be doing it alone or with the wife (the in-laws will not be with us for this period!). But which flightseeing excursion?

Photography is my passion...fluidr.com/photos/phil_mario...
      So I would like to be on a flightseeing excursion that is photoworthy and am ensured a window seat to shoot from, so it is best to be in a helicopter or floatplane where the wing attaches to the top of the fuselage as this doesn't obstruct the view as much as a lower placed wing would.

So the ports I can flightsee from are Ketchikan (Misty Fjords ), Icy Strait Point (Glacier Bay National Park), Juneau (helicopter over Juneau Icefield or a 5-Glacier Seaplane trip), Skagway (Chilkat Glacier system) or Anchorage (Denali/Mt. McKinley and Ruth & Kahiltna Glaciers).

I have been to Perito Moreno glacier in Argentina and will soon see various Alaskan glaciers from sea level so with this flightseeing trip I am most interested in aerial shots that best depict the glaciers as rivers of ice. Dramatic mountains are a plus.

Are there any well heeled travellers here that have been on some of these excursions and can recommend one over the others? Or know of other resourses I can use to find out?

Sincerest thanks!

more
    • exit glacir for free

Seward Apr 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Hi, anyone knows if can i hike to te exit glaciar for free , or i must get a guided tour?
      Thanks

more
    • Historic sites in Sitka

Sitka Apr 1, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Can you hop on and off a bus or other transportation to see the different historic sites?

more
    • seward vs homer may 9-13 2014

Seward Yesterday

plannning on kayaking, fishing, cabin camping, and glaciers would be just top it off. which has better weather, seward or homer during early may? both places look beautiful , but which has better scenery? better hikes? scenery is more important to me than wildlife. Any advice appreciated

more
    • Magic Bus - Christopher McCandless

Alaska Mar 31, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Hi,

My name is Gary and I'm currently looking to book an extended trip to travel across America. One of the locations I would like to visit it The 'Magic' Bus just off the Stampede Trail. When would be the safest time of year to hike out to the bus and are there also any tour guides who would accompany heading out there? I just wanted to check as I would rather not go out alone.

I would be grateful for any information you could give me.

Thanks

Gary

more
    • Caracalover's Profile Photo

Canoe advice

by Caracalover Online Now Apr 11, 2008 at 11:54 PM

My wife and I are planning a canoe excursion into the Lynx lake area, and although I have experience with canoes, I am concerned with the weather, the chill of the water, and the portages involved.

We have been living in the southern California area, so our version of cold begins at 60 degrees. We both had childhoods in colder climes, so we have some idea of what to expect, but any information you can share about this area, what we are likely to expect in temperatures both water and air would be helpful.

Our current plan is for 2009, mid to late August. Is this too late? We are hoping to get 3 nights in, perhaps two at lynx and one at James. My concern is the chill factor, and what provisions there are in the cabins to get warm. It sounds like the stove is for heating only, which I take it means you can't cook on it. I would imagine that is to keep the scents down so bears are not attracted, or am I off base on that one?

We are looking forward to this so much, I just want to know what to expect so I can properly prepare.

Thanks, Eric

3 Answers Apr 16, 2008 at 10:12 PM