Namibia Travel Answers

change location

Is this still true?

by PeterSchuetz Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 2:56 AM

Hi, I'm invited to make my leave at Swakopmund because there leave friends of my parents. Now I have read about the seal hunt and barbaric slaughter at this country. Asking the familiy they denied that and saying it is totally blowed up by international press. So my question is, is it true or not and if yes, is it ongoing? If I google for that I get tears in my eyes and if it's still true I think I do not want to go there. Please let me know. Thank you very much in advance. Best regards, Peter

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Is this still true?

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 4:24 AM

Peter - They are called the Cape Fur Seal (a.k.a. Brown Fur Seal) for a reason; they (especially the pups) are harvested for their fur. There has been an ongoing harvest of the fur seal for many years, so far as I understand it. The contraversy has been about extending the hunt to the Cape Cross colony that is currently protected. This area lies to the north of Swakopmund.

"Cape Cross - Seals Colony" - Namibia Travelogue by GrumpyDiver are pictures I took in November 2011 during pupping season at Cape Cross.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Is this still true?

by PeterSchuetz Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Jesus, I cannot believe it, what a shame. If I look at your pictures it's hard to to understand how sick humans can be. Thank you GrumpyDiver, no question, I will stay out of that country

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I personally would visit Namibia. You are applying Western standards and views on a developing country that has many, many more serious issues than this one.

Education system issues, trade issues, lack of water, major HIV problem especially in urban areas, urbanization of rural cultures, etc. Sealing really a fairly minor issue in a country that has significantly more serious issues that it must deal with.

That you (or I) agree or disagree with sealing is not really at issue. You will have a far better understanding if you travel and make up your own mind, rather than letting the press and lobby groups make up your mind for you.

When we were in Namibia, we spent most of a day out in the Kalahari with a group of Bushmen hunters. They trapped a monitor lizard in a tree stump; they cut the whole tree down just to get the lizard; which went into the evening meal for one of the hunter's family. Our Western sense is that this was waste, because they cut the tree down; the Bushmen felt that one tree really does make a lot of difference, after all the whole area had burnt down some years ago during a forest fire and many more trees were destroyed then.

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Is this still true?

by PeterSchuetz Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I think I understand a little bit what you try to tell but it's not the point that animals get killed it's the way of doing that. This has nothing to do with waste a life (thousands of it), it's absolutely not respecting the life. After I have seen those pictures and Youtube vids I have no words for that. This is to violent and to sick. No, that's nothing for me.

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM

That is not what I am saying at all.

These videos are taken and made by professional protest groups like Sea Shepherd who do have an agenda and are trying to influence people like you.   The material is one-sided and presented in a manner to have the effect that they want, and this seems to be working.  I'm not saying I agree with the hunt or the hunting methods or disagreeing with it.  I do recognize the presentation as being very one-sided.

Do not judge a whole country by the way one small industry works until you have a better understanding of the issues as a whole, rather than this one small snapshot..  

• dropbear's Profile Photo

by dropbear Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Cruelty is cruelty.

• SW2's Profile Photo

by SW2 Online Now Aug 17, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I'm also strongly against all these things being a vegetarian and activist ;-) but ALL countries in the whole world have animal cruelty. So deciding on visiting a country on that terms would mean you should only visit the moon :-) Namibia is really a beautiful country as so many others that are known for their despicable cruelty against certain animals (Iceland and Norway with their whalers, Spain with its bull fights, ...) but that doesn't mean those countries are not worth a visit. I actually saw it as a good opportunity to tell the people there how WRONG they were slaughtering seals. Visiting Cape Cross was indeed a confronting day, but use it as an enriching experience, confront them and don't let it hold you back.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines