Namibia Travel Answers

change location

Best time to see animals y Namibia and general info

by GladysP Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Hi, I'm planning a safari in Namibia during the month of July. Is this a good time to see them?
Where is a good place to get maps, travel books and the realiable place to rent a car?

Thank you

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • DAO's Profile Photo

Re: Best time to see animals y Namibia and general info

by DAO Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Hi,

For game viewing (in the North) June to August is good. September and October are better. If you want to start in South Africa, please see my South Africa page for details on the company I always used - Aroundaboutcars.

Maps are difficult. There is only one official road map and it could literally save your life. They are available at BOOKSTORES when you arrive. I have lent my map to 2 VT'ers who used it - but it is now 5 years old. All the bookstores in Windhoek had them. I just followed road signs to get to Windhoek from Botswana.

You have time. Ring a bookshop in Windhoek and see if they will sell and ship you a road map. The official language of Namibia is English.

Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DAO's Profile Photo

by DAO Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Just to make sure I fully explain - they do not sell maps at Petrol Garages (Gas Stations) in Namibia. Weird I know.

• jacquisuiza's Profile Photo

by jacquisuiza Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM

We had a tracks4africa map and were happy with it. As I see on their website it is not available until april 2013.

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I understand that July and August are high season (dry and cool) so it is very popular to visit. We were there a year ago mid-November and early December and got caught by the little rainy season (not great for touring). The nice part of dry season is that the animals do come to the water holes as these are the only place to get drinking water.

We picked up a map at a store selling world maps at home before we left and did the same for travel books.

We rented through Namibia Car Rental, which is a fairly small outfit. They picked us up and and dropped us off at the airport and we got the truck (we rented a 4x4 truck with camping gear) and took us to our B&B and then picked us up to pick up the vehicle, That worked out quite well.

http://www.namibiacarrental.com/

I personally would recommend a higher 4x4 vehicle; the roads are often not great and there were several places that we got to that were only accessible by 4x4. As well it helps being higher up when trying to spot animals.

I assume you are looking at spending time at Etosha National Park. While the western part of the park opened for tourism about 18 months ago, the animals are not used to people and stay well back of the roads. You can get quite close to them in the eastern part of the park. Okaukeujo Camp at Etosha has a great waterhole at the camp that is lit up at night for great wildlife viewing.

There was a bit of wildlife in Namib-Naukluft National Park (the dunes at Sessriem are highly recommended). Palmwag also offered some great wildlife viewing, and unlike the National Parks, you could get out of your vehicle.

I cover a lot of this off in my travel pages,

GrumpyDiver's Travel Map

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

by smirnofforiginal Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM

July is a good time. It is dry and the animals are forced to go to the waterholes. You pay a premium to stay inside the gates of Etosha - we were very happy to stay only 1 night within the park (for the waterhole) and the other nights we stayed outside various gates - this worked really well for us. You can pick up a map of Etosha from inside the park. Even in the day, the waterholes were the best place to see a lot of animals... and each waterhole attracted different species.
    I visited in August. However, aside from inside Etosha, we saw very few animals roaming majestically as we drove around the country, in contrast to say Botswana.
    You require a map that has not only the roads but also petrol stations marked clearly. I picked one up off of Amazon easily. Check your car has a spare tyre, in good condition (yeah obvious, I know.... but this is Africa!)plus the tools required to change a flat AND definitely also make sure you have a tow rope!
    Lastly enjoy - it is a staggeringly beautiful country where the light is so pure. If you are into photography you will love the light in Namibia! :-D

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Thanks for reminding me of something smirnofforiginal.

Warning: Once you get out of town, places to fuel up your vehicle are few and far between. There were a number of times where we were a couple of hours drive between gas stations. The other issue is that you have to pay in cash; credit cards are not accepted for fuel. Fuel supplies are not always reliable in some parts of the country, i.e some of the remote gas stations have been known to run out of fuel...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines