Namibia Travel Answers

change location

Where in: Etosha, Damaraland and Sossusvlei

by jeres8860 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone out there has any strong opinions on favourite campsites in Etosha? We want to enter in the western section of the park and exit in the east. We are thinking 2 different sites over the 3 days.

Also, we are spending 3 days in Damaraland and are planing on basing ourselves at the Hoada campsite. Is this a good area of which to base yourself?

Lastly, we are planning on spending 2 nights at the Sossus Oasis Campsite in and around Sossusvlei, is this a good site to base yourself? I've also heard great things about Sesriem. would it be better to choose that campsite?

Thanks in advance for all the help,

Jeremy

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • DAO's Profile Photo

Re: Where in: Etosha, Damaraland and Sossusvlei

by DAO Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Hello,

Sesriem campsite is right at the gate. You need to book ahead!

I have some more details here for you. They have a pool, but you need to take your own food.

"SOSSUSVLEI" - Namibia Hotel Tip by DAO

Have a good time!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Where in: Etosha, Damaraland and Sossusvlei

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM

We did a camping trip through Namibia just over a year ago (Late November through early December 2011) and spent some time in all of the places on your list. We had a 4x4 truck with a roof top tent, and while there are some downsides to this route, I would certainly do it again. Something to remember about camping at the National Parks; the gates shut at sunset.

First of all, let’s start with Etosha, and the western part of the part. If things have not changed in the interim, the only way you could enter this part was to stay at Dolomite Camp. Calling this place a “camp” was a bit of a misnomer; it was more of a luxury hotel than anything else. There were no campsites here at all, as you can see from my images.

Dolomite Camp: "Luxury in an isolated part of Western Etosha" - Etosha National Park Hotel Tip by GrumpyDiver

I’m not sure if it is worth your while to consider visiting this part of the park at all. It had been closed to tourism for well over half a century prior to it being partially reopened to tourism in 2011. This means that the animals that live in this part of the park have not been exposed to humans and their vehicles and are very wary of them. This means they stay well away from the road and you really don’t see very many of them at all.

It is far better to visit the eastern part of the park. We stayed in two of the campsites there. Of these Okaukeujo Camp is one I would certainly highly recommend. It has a fantastic water hole that is illuminated at night and there are places to sit and watch the animals come to drink. It is apparently the best place in the world to see black rhinos. I have a page on Okaukeujo Camp here: Okaukeujo Camp: "Accomodation in the western part of the park" - Etosha National Park Hotel Tip by GrumpyDiver

I shot this short video clip at the water hole there: "Sunset at Namutomi Camp Waterhole" - Etosha National Park Video by GrumpyDiver

The other camp we stayed at was Naumutomi Camp; built at the location of an old German fort. While more attractive than Okaukeujo, there was less activity at night. It does have a waterhole too, but it is used only by birds rather than big game.

At Sessriem, we camped at the Park campsite (right outside the park), and it has the advantage that you are allowed to stay in the park until 1 hour after sunset. If you camp outside of the park, you have to be out of there by sunset. The dunes are most beautiful as the sun sets. It is a 60 km drive from Sossusvlei to the park gate and the speed limit is 60 km/hr, so you do the math. I would not recommend that you go there unless you have a 4x4 truck and know how to drive it in deep sand. You can easily get to Deadvlei and Dune 45 without getting into the deep sand. We drove and got stuck, but had the driving skills to handle it (and found out that our truck did not have a shovel). We had to dig out way out with our dishwashing tub and a frying pan. There are trucks that take you there earlier on in the day from the Deadvlei area too.

"Sessriem and the Red Dunes" - Namib-Naukluft Park Travelogue by GrumpyDiver

Another fantastic campsite in the Namib – Naukluft National Park is a campsite called Mirabeb. It is a huge rock in the middle of nowhere and is very isolated. There are four campsites there, but you do need to bring in your own water.

For Damaraland, consider spending some time at the Palmwag Concession. It was the one really unexpected, pleasant surprise for us. It does have campsites and they do run tours, but for the very reasonable fee of $NAM we were able to drive through the area on our own. Unlike the National Parks, you are allowed to get out of your vehicle.

"Palmwag in Damaraland" - Namibia Travelogue by GrumpyDiver

One final thought. The distances are large, the roads are generally unpaved and the distances between places to fuel your vehicle are quite large. Fuel stations do not take credit cards and you have to pay for it in cash.

I hope you enjoy camping in Namibia as much as we did!

1 member found this helpful

• Re: Where in: Etosha, Damaraland and Sossusvlei

by jeres8860 Online Now Mar 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Hi GrumpyDiver,

Thanks so much for the detailed response and sorry for the delay in mine - It's been a crazy few weeks. Our itinerary is set now and your pages info was a HUGE help; thanks so much.

1 member found this helpful

• GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Excellent! I hope you enjoy and appreciate Namibia as much as we did!

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Apr 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM

jeres8860 wrote:
    Hi GrumpyDiver,

Thanks so much for the detailed response and sorry for the delay in mine - It's been a crazy few weeks. Our itinerary is set now and your pages info was a HUGE help; thanks so much.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines