Namibia Travel Answers

change location

Amended Itinerary Questions

by jeres8860 Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM

After great feedback and careful consideration, we've managed to cut out a few places from our itinerary in hope of having ample time to enjoy what we feel are the more important areas of Namibia.

We would love some feedback before we commit to this and start booking places to stay.

9/1/2013 Windhoek 9/2/2013 Waterberg 9/3/2013 Etosha 9/4/2013 Etosha 9/5/2013 Etosha 9/6/2013 Etosha 9/7/2013 Damaraland 9/8/2013 Damaraland 9/9/2013 Damaraland 9/10/2013 Skeleton coast/Swakopmund 9/11/2013 sossusvlei 9/12/2013 sossusvlei 9/13/2013 sossusvlei/Windhoek

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • toonsarah's Profile Photo

Re: Amended Itinerary Questions

by toonsarah Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 5:19 AM

This looks like a sensible number of places to include in the time you have available. My only concern would be the single day allocated to the Skeleton Coast and Swakopmund. Are you planning to do one of the flights over the Skeleton Coast? If so, that timetable could work, but if you want to drive there (the limited part that can be driven) you may need more time to get from Damaraland to the coast, see something of the latter, and get to Swakopmund for your overnight stop. In that case you might be better advised to drop a night from your Etosha stay (I personally believe three there would be enough) and plan to spend a night in one of the Skeleton Coast lodges such as Terrace Bay or Cape Cross. We didn't do that but I afterwards wished that we had.

If you are planning to do a flight, do book in advance. We made the mistake of expecting to be able to do it and when we checked on arrival in Swakopmund (where we spent two nights) we were too late to get anything for the following day so had to miss out.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Amended Itinerary Questions

by jeres8860 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Hi Toonsarah,

Thanks again for answering my questions and validating this Itinerary. I think this is what we are going to go with - maybe give or take a da y out somewhere, but we're basically done with the namibia part. Now we just have to figure out if we should try and use the last 3 days to see Victoria Falls or spend them in Cape town? Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks again.

by toonsarah Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I have never been to either Cape Town or Victoria Falls. I would love to see both but personally if I had to choose I would go for the Falls as I have long dreamt of seeing them!

by jeres8860 Online Now Mar 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Thanks for your response; I think that's what we are going to do. We have been in contact with the cardboard box and together we have come up with this:

01 Sep 2013 – Windhoek (accommodation)
    02 – Sossusvlei (Campsite)
    03 – Sossusvlei
    04 – Sossusvlei
    05 – Swakopmund (accommodation)
    06 – Grootberg (campsite)
    07 – Grootberg
    08 – Grootberg
    09 – Okaukuejo (campsite)
    10 – Okaukuejo
    11 – Namutoni (campsite)
    12 – Rundu (accommodation)
    13 – Bagani
    14 – Katima
    15 – Vic Falls (accommodation)
    16 – Vic Falls (accommodation)

what do you think?

Re: Amended Itinerary Questions

by toonsarah Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I don't know all the places you mention but in terms of the amount you plan to do in the time available this looks to me like a sensible compromise between seeing a lot while not rushing around so much you see nothing.

Please do share your experiences here on VT after the trip by posting some tips and photos!

by jeres8860 Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Thanks, I'm really happy with the itinerary and am super excited for the trip. Of course I'll share my experiences and photos. Thanks so much Toonsarah!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Namibia Travel Answer Locations