Nakhon Ratchasima Travel Answers

change location

Travel to Korat from Bangkok

by DAGO.1 Online Now Nov 14, 2006 at 4:08 AM

Hello I am new member.I wonder if anyone can help with directions from Bangkok,Sukemvitt rd(spelling?) around soi 24 to Korat? I know highway 2 but how to get to Hwy 2? I will be renting a car in january and traveling to Korat.I am from America and used to driving on the right side of the road,LOL.Dont worry I have driven on wrong side of road before (just joking).I can drive on left side of road no problem.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • orchid49's Profile Photo

RE: Travel to Korat from Bangkok

by orchid49 Online Now Nov 14, 2006 at 4:52 AM

From Sukhumvit Soi 24, find the way to Ploenchit Express way , pay toll fee and direct head north, pass Don Muang-the old airport and direct to the direction of Northeast.....
    Hope this is the best way..

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jrs1234's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Travel to Korat from Bangkok

by jrs1234 Online Now Nov 14, 2006 at 11:28 AM

Hi -

The hardest part is getting to the north of Bangkok successfully - the best way is probably to get onto the elevated expressway which goes past the old airport at Don Muang. Highway number 1 will then take to Saraburi, where you turn off onto Highway 2.

If you just want to have a car around Korat - it's worth noting that there is a Budget Car rental place there:

budget.co.th/locations_home....

If I remember correctly it's at the front of the big Tesco-Lotus store there.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Jeremy

• RE: Travel to Korat from Bangkok

by DAGO.1 Online Now Nov 15, 2006 at 5:25 AM

Thank you all for the replies.Your all a great help. I just need to get a map of Bangkok (with the street names) so I can figure out how to get to HWY1.It may be easier to travel from the new airport instead of going into downtown bangkok......Been there,done that,LOL.

• SirHalberd's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Travel to Korat from Bangkok

by SirHalberd Online Now Nov 16, 2006 at 1:16 PM

Or, you could take the bus from Bangkok to Khorat and rent a car in Khorat. I've taken that bus several times a few years ago, the price was very reasonable, definitely cheaper than renting a car (and the bus driver knows how to get out of Bangkok without a map.)

Keep in mind when a foregnor is in a motor vehicle accident you are often considered a "walking - talking mobile ATM machine" and the police may keep your passport until YOU pay for the cost of the accident! And the accident may not be your fault!

Check out the Phimai Wat and museum and the big Banyon Tree in nearby Phimai. Phimai is around an hour by bus or car from Khorat. You can stay in the Phimai Inn Hotel, on the main highway, across from the newer bus station. You can walk or drive from there to the wat and musuem.

• RE: RE: Travel to Korat from Bangkok

by DAGO.1 Online Now Dec 3, 2006 at 2:04 AM

Thanks for the info.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines