Nairobi Area Travel Answers

change location

daytour to nairobi

by westybeast Online Now Apr 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM

hi I am in nairobi for a couple of days next month.

any suggestions what i can do for a day or two.

should i go by taxi to the national museum and then maybe the karen blixen museum and giraffe centre
or should i get a day tour and from what company

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: daytour to nairobi

by Odinnthor Online Now Apr 9, 2011 at 10:37 PM

I would recommend a trip to the Nairobi National Park, which is litetally right by the city.

nairobinationalpark.wildlife...

These guys will do a nice tour there for you. Also other local tours available.

Have fun.....d:o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Apr 10, 2011 at 12:09 AM

I am so sorry, I was going to give you a link to the tours. Here it is. Mu apologies.....d:o)

eastafricashuttles.com/nairo...

• petersnice's Profile Photo

by petersnice Online Now Apr 10, 2011 at 1:04 AM

It's probably better to hire a car with a driver/guide from some tour company cause they'll know better which are best times to visit certain places.

I haven't really tried safari in Nairobi NP so I can't comment it, but I did visit Sheldrick's elephant orphanage, Giraffe center and Safari Walk which were all quite exciting.

• sphynxxs's Profile Photo

by sphynxxs Online Now Apr 10, 2011 at 2:44 AM

There are a number of tours which you can usually book at hotels and which combine for example a trip to Nairobi Nationalpark with eating at Carnivore restaurant and maybe the elephant orphanage or giraffe center. Given that entering Nairobi NP now costs 75 for tourists, going there just for two hours would be very expensive. It is better to hire a car with a driver and visit the park as long as you want under these circumstances. Also, with your private driver you have more flexibility to create your own sightseeing schedule. If you shy away from the high entry price at the national park, there is a private sanctuary only 36 kilometres away, Swara Plains, which only charges 500 KES entry. when you want to visit the elephant orphanage, keep in mind they are only open to the public from 11.00 to 12.00, so you need to weave your schedule around that. giraffe center is always nice if you are already in Karen. Should you plan some shopping, you might add Kazuri (beads) or Kitengela glass. And of course, there is the Karen Blixen museum and a nunmber of restaurants out in Karen. I know a reliable cabbie who also rents cars with drivers for a day, so if you are interested, drop me an email and I can get you his details.

if you have enough time to venture out of Nairobi, some of your options might be Lake Naivasha, Crater Lake sanctuary and/or HellĀ“s Gate National park.

• williamMega's Profile Photo

by williamMega Online Now Apr 10, 2011 at 5:38 AM

As you see in the replies,there's plenty to do in Nairobi.What is most important is to plan well,especially with your transportation.Getting good transport will ensure flexibility if you decide to change your schedule.
    have a good time.

• KakapoTheParrot's Profile Photo

by KakapoTheParrot Online Now Apr 10, 2011 at 11:35 AM

We went to the national museum a few years back. I remember enjoying it and being very impressed. You make an interesting comment about getting a taxi there. We stayed about half a mile from the museum, so (as always) we walked. The guards at our hotel and the guards at the museum were genuinely taken aback at us walking. I subsequently read (I can't remember where, so I can't quote my source for this which I know I probably should) that it was a pretty dangerous thing for us to do. Tourists, at least at the time, were in some danger even in the middle of the day in the city. We were on a tour and once we'd joined up with our guides they herded us like sheep until we got out of the city.

• Re: daytour to nairobi

by westybeast Online Now Apr 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM

thanks for your input and swift feedback.

any idea what a city daytour would involve - how much and what it may include . or would be cheaper to get a taxi ? i will check out those links thank you.

also to get to mombasa afterwards would akamba bus be the best option - an dif so how much ?

• TrvlAfrika's Profile Photo

by TrvlAfrika Online Now Apr 10, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Jambo!!

There a tons of things to do in and not far from Nairobi in a day.
    Trip to Nairobi National Park, Lake Nakuru, Lake Navaisha
    On Fri there is a Masai Market on the rooftop at the Village Market and on Sat and Sun they do the Market in Nairobi City
    The Giraffe Center and Daphne Sheldrick's Elephant Orphange (there is a documentary that comes out this month on her "Born to be Wild"
    The Bomas

I have lived in Africa over 15yrs and am now in Nairobi, although I have been traveling with groups here, this being my 30th anniversary.

The company that has always taken care of me is www.smallworldoftravellers.com, tell them that I sent you...they take care and keep us safe.

Take time to enjoy!!

Asante sana

• sphynxxs's Profile Photo

by sphynxxs Online Now Apr 11, 2011 at 3:23 AM

as I live here, I never booked a city tour, but from what I have seen they usually charge around 70 to organise the Nairobi national park/Carnivore tour (entry prices are charged extra) There is not really much when it comes to city sightseeing - the number of historic buildings is rather limited. Taxi fare one way from the city center to Karen is 1000 to 1200 Shilling, depending on your negotiation skills. If you plan to move around a lot arranging a car with driver will probably save you hassle and waiting.

As for going to Mombasa - Akamba is a good company (you will appreciate their busses when you see some of the overloaded ruins on Mombasa highway. Depending how much time you have at your hands, flight tariffs have gone down quite a lot in recent months. Or, of course, there is the train - more comfy than the bus. You should get your ticket in advance then, though.

• Re: daytour to nairobi

by eastbeast Online Now May 4, 2011 at 1:08 AM

an advice is that you should go by a taxi to the parks,this is a day tour,or the 2 nd day you visit hells gate national park or so.the company i would recommed is mountkenyapeak tours and travel..thankyou

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Nairobi Area Travel Answer Locations