Nairobi Area Travel Answers

change location
Thumbee's Profile Photo

hotels?

by Thumbee Online Now Nov 1, 2005 at 9:02 AM

We have a full day and one night's layover in Nairobi before we head out for our safari on the 28th of Dec.
What are good hotels to stay at in the 60-110 US$ range? The Oakwood looks really run down from the outside...how is it on the inside?
We are seriously considering the Safari Park Hotel, because that theme seems appealing to us from all the pics on the net, but we are still open if prices are better. The Hilton and The Stanley are also offering some good deals at the moment....
Which one would you choose? And what is the proximity of these hotels to the Maasai Market and Carnivore? Those are my two MUST-DOs for a day well-spent in Nairobi from all I have read about them :-). Anything else that might take one's fancy?

Thanks,
keya

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Saagar's Profile Photo

RE: hotels?

by Saagar Online Now Nov 14, 2005 at 4:15 AM

Jambo. I just arrived from Kenya, and I can recommend The Stanley if you can find a price to match your indication. I was there on a corporate rate and spent about 500 USD for 5 nights. A very good hotel. The Stanley is safe, has good inhouse dining facilities and is situated smack in the middle of Nairobi. All taxi drivers know where it is. Both to the Village Masaai Market and to the Carnivore you will definitely need a taxi or an arrangement with a hotel vehicle if in a group to pick you up. Those places are too far out for even considering walking. JimCab is the best radio taxis. You can prebook through the hotel, too. And walking in Nairobi at night is not safe. Be extra cautious with you handbags at restaurants and just about everywhere else, too.
    If you are going by road to Masaai Mara, consider checking for souvenirs, arts & crafts at Narok or other towns along the road there, but beware of seriously inflated prices and some cheating on quality. That leaves you to do something else in Nairobi, should you be so inclined.
    All the best, happy safari,
    Saagar
    All the

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Nairobi Area Travel Answer Locations