Nairobi Travel Answers

change location

Female Attire in Kenya

by yt236 Online Now Dec 10, 2008 at 1:52 PM

Hello!
I'm planning on studying abroad in Nairobi this spring and my program is stressing the importance of below the knee shorts and skirts. How do college age women dress in Nairobi? Would wearing shorts above the knee be inappropriate and what about dressing up for going out at night?

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

Re: Female Attire in Kenya

by Homanded Online Now Dec 11, 2008 at 5:05 AM

We did not notice any particular dress restrictions in Kenya.
    I believe there are even nude beaches in Mombassa - but be prepared for locals to be staring.

Having said that, if you're planning on going on Safari, short shorts are not necessarily the most comfortable due to insects or the sun.
    I don't believe exhibitionism needs to be a part of your vacation - although it may be a preference....(I'm not judging).

Our women folk (we traveled with 3) wore comfortable safari shorts during the day or jeans.
    When going out to dinner, we followed same rules we would here at home, they dressed nicely at the lodges and restaurants both afield and in Nairobi.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Nairobi75's Profile Photo

Re: Female Attire in Kenya

by Nairobi75 Online Now Feb 2, 2009 at 3:02 AM

Hello,

You can wear anything in Nairobi, only issue is with say Mini skirts/shorts if you are to go to certain sections of the town (downtown). Normal size shorts, jeans, skirts are ok all parts of Kenya. Not really a big deal.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines