Nairobi Travel Answers

change location

Camping Stores in Nairobi

by janie68 Online Now Apr 25, 2007 at 3:32 PM

My Husband and I will be arriving in Nairobi in Aug/07 to start
Hi
My hubby & I are doing a overland tour starting in Aug/07 from Niarobi to Cape Town
we are travelling before hand for about 3 months and just thought it would be easier to pick up a sleeping bag & pillow in Niarobi if possible gfor the overland part of the trip
We only have a day in Niarobi
Friends advised me on a pillow as it is good padding in the vehicle & nice to but your head down at nightand can give it away at the end
Would appreciate any help or info
Janie

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Osmun79's Profile Photo

Re: Camping Stores in Nairobi

by Osmun79 Online Now May 1, 2007 at 11:02 AM

There are very few "camping stores" in Nairobi so you are best to buy your goods at home. Backpacks and things such as mosquito netting, stoves, and even camp chairs MAY be found at Nakumatt stores around the city ( Try the one out near Lavington or Westlands). Mosquito nets (a must for safety and comfort in the bush) can be found at any Nakumatt or Tusker mattress in the the downtown (especially off of Moi Ave). There is also a somewhat small outfitter out in Karen near the local clubs.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Camping Stores in Nairobi

by Mwenyeji Online Now May 5, 2007 at 1:45 AM

I beg to differ with you, Osman.
    From personal experience, the cost of buying the camping equipment outright in Nariobi (from Nakumatt Supermarket, the various shops around the new Nation Centre, Nairobi Sports House, etc) proved much cheaper than buying them in the UK and paying air charges to freight them to Kenya.

The choice will of course be slightly limited.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines