Nairobi Travel Answers

change location

POSSIBLE MOVING TO NAIROBI, KENYA

by TravelAllTheTime Online Now Jun 30, 2005 at 11:22 AM

HI,

I WILL BE POSSIBLE MOVING TO KENYA AND I WAS WONDERING HOW DANGEROUS IT WAS ARE IF IT'S DANDEROUS. HOW MODERN THE AREA WAS. ARE THERE ANY SHOPPING MALLS.ETC..AMERICAN GROCERY STORES.ETC.ETC..I WILL BE RELOCATING TO THE AREA VIA MY JOB ANYONE KNOW WERE THE COMPOUND AT FOR THE STATE DEPT EMPLOYEES AND HOW DOES IT LOOK..IS EVERYTHING GATED AND CAN YOU GET AROUND AT NIGHT. IS THIS POST FOR A FAMILY.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Krumel's Profile Photo

RE: RE: POSSIBLE MOVING TO NAIROBI, KENYA

by Krumel Online Now Jul 3, 2005 at 12:26 AM

Whoa, now that's a bit harsh, saying that Nairobi is worse than Baghdad.

I'm sorry if you had bad experiences in Nairobi, but I have stayed there several times and never had a problem. There is no point in denying that Nairobi is a more dangerous place than a Western city, and that it is not a good idea to go out alone after dark. There are a lot of pickpockets and con-men around, but with a bit of common sense most trouble can be avoided. And what is the problem with drinking bottled water?

And a comment to the original question: No, there are no shopping malls, as most people there wouldn't have the money to go shopping in them anyway, and I doubt that there is an American grocery store either. If you move to a foreign country I think you will have to be prepared to adapt to the way of life there and get used to the local groceries. It's all part of the experience of living abroad.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines