Nags Head Travel Answers

change location

Where in the Outer Banks should we visit??

by lbaz95 Online Now Aug 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a getaway from our kids for 4-5 days in mid-October. We have never been to OBX and are thinking of going there. We like to shop (unique shops, not national chains), bike, and eat. Where in the OBX would you recommend? We are thinking that it will also give us a chance to investigate whether it is a good place for a family vacation next summer. We were leaning toward Duck or Nags Head.

Thanks.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • JessieLang's Profile Photo

Re: Where in the Outer Banks should we visit??

by JessieLang Online Now Aug 25, 2011 at 3:04 PM

This isn't exactly what you asked--but regardless of where you stay, I'd suggest a visit to Kitty Hawk. Show the kids the site of that very short flight that led to air travel.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Re: Where in the Outer Banks should we visit??

by HasTowelWillTravel Online Now Aug 26, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Nag's Head is very developed, in my opinion. I was just out there last week for my first time, and that town boasted plenty of fast food chains as well as shopping malls and strip malls. It was not my cup of tea, if you're looking for a more local, unique experience.

I stayed down lower on the banks, close to Frisco (note: I camped, didn't stay in a hotel or resort). But the road, HW 12, that is running up and down the banks gives you good road cycling; it's flat and straight, and the cars mostly leave you alone. Plenty of bikers were out and riding hard. The towns a bit to the south, Friso and Hatteras, might have more options for you to stay and eat.

Breakfast at Sonny's Waterfront in Hatteras was a great little local place, with a mix of OBX-ians and tourists. The town also is near the lighthouse, which is nice to visit. It's about 10 miles or so, which is a good biking distance (imo).

You can also go further down to Ocracoke island, and there are things to do there, but you're further removed from the historical landmarks like Kitty Hawk and Fort Raleigh (in Manteo).

Just some ideas. Email if you'd like more exhaustive answers. Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines