Nags Head Travel Answers

change location
jimkpa's Profile Photo

First Timer General advice

by jimkpa Online Now Apr 5, 2007 at 1:01 PM

We will be coming there in mid July for 3-4 days. I am checking out a few motels that have direct beach access. I see that there is Nags Head and then there is Kill Devil and Kitty Hawk towns. Which area is best to visit if we want nice shoreline, small shop type of shopping, not outlet malls, family things ? Family consists of 6 , me, wife, two teen daughters and two 5 yr old boys.

Thanks for the info on the differences between these areas.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • VA_Dave's Profile Photo

Re: First Timer General advice

by VA_Dave Online Now Apr 5, 2007 at 3:40 PM

I was there a couple of years ago and Nags Head/Kill Devil/Kitty Hawk seemed to have merged into one town, with no real divisions between them. So I do not think there is much reason to pick one over the other. I prefer to get as close to the Hatteras end as possible.

No matter where you stay, uou will not be far from the Cape Hatteras park area with its beautiful undeveloped beaches.

My favorites activities are: watching the sunset from Jockey Ridge sand dune, visiting the Wright Brother's Memorial/museum, and going fishing either at the local pier or Hattaras point or on the sound or by charter/head boat from Oregon Inlet. You may want to take the ferry daytrip over to Ocracoke island.

If you want a really old time beach experience with no distractions, try Sunset Beach, a little island between N and S Carolina, that is reached by an old drawbridge. Just like all the Carolina coast used to be in the good old days!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • VA_Dave's Profile Photo

by VA_Dave Online Now Apr 5, 2007 at 3:57 PM

You might also want to go to Manteo some evening and see the "Lost Colony" play.

http://www.thelostcolony.org/

In 1587, over 100 men, women and children journeyed from England to Roanoke Island on North Carolina’s coast and established the first English settlement in America. Within three years, they had vanished with scarcely a trace. While England’s initial attempt at colonization of the New World was a disaster, it nonetheless created one of America's most intriguing mysteries.

• jimkpa's Profile Photo

by jimkpa Online Now Apr 6, 2007 at 5:15 AM

Thank you Dave , I will take your advice and check the specifics you mention. Now instead of starting blind I can have some things to do that you have suggested.

• Travmad's Profile Photo

by Travmad Online Now Apr 7, 2007 at 8:58 AM

Since your going to be in the area another option is to rent a home for the week. Between friends we have done this several time with great success often you have to get one a year in advance to be on the beach. Keep it in mind for the future. As was said by others there really isn't a "town" anymore. It's strip mall heaven with a beach. Not to say it isn't nice. We go there twice a year for a long weekend in the off season and have a great time camping. The idea of seeing the "Lost colony" is a good one I really enjoyed that, it gives a history of the the outer banks. If you would like a smaller town beach experience think about Ocracoke Island a bit farther south. From your accommodation you can walk to just about anywhere. The beaches are really nice and clean with nice people.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines